We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get around in zone 1-2 for 2 months?

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get around in zone 1-2 for 2 months?

I am going to spend 2 months in Copenhagen this summer. I have now found somewhere to live. It is in located in Bispebjerg, and Bispebjerg station is nearby. It is likely that I will visit central Copenhagen at least 5 days a week. In this case, Central Copenhagen means Indre By and nearby areas. Probably mainly Indre By. Some weekends will be spent somewhere else, and I will also spend a week in Jutland. But most time will be spent in Copenhagen, and I do not want to stay in Bispebjerg all the time.

I have checked up public transport and bikes, but I am confused. I am so confused that I seriously consider to walk exactly everywhere and every day. If I want a bike, I either have to pay per hour or per day or week. I didn’t find a good option if I want to rent a bike longer than that. There are period cards (including flexcards) for public transport, but I have no idea what would be the best option for me. All I really know is that Bispebjerg is located in zone 2, and I know the travel times for S-trains and buses to central Copenhagen.

I know that Copenhagen is considered to be a walkable city, but it’s mainly for tourists who spend most of their time in more central areas. It would probably be a bad idea for me, who will live in Bispebjerg. So should I try to rent a bike long term (if so, how) or focus on public transport? What would be the best for me?

1. Re: Best way to get around in zone 1-2 for 2 months?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 18:37
Edited: 21 May 2014, 18:37
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get around in zone 1-2 for 2 months?

Walking from Bispebjerg to the centre will take to long.

Buy a "periodekort" for zone 1+2, valid on all public transport at all times. moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/…prisoversigt.aspx

The price is only DKK 360 per month, and you can even adjust it to just 5 weeks. You need a photo. I believe you can buy it without having a long-lasting address in Denmark. If not, you should at least be able to buy a FlexCard, price DKK 445 per month.

1) Renting a bike for that long will be expensive. Often it´s DKK 400 - 500 per week. You´d have to contact several places and ask for an offer.

2) Buying a new bike: if you buy a new bike, prices in the centre start around DKK 2000,- or less (check out prices along Nørrebrogade, for example - but for better service and maybe a helmet, perhaps seek out shops in the real centre). There are cheaper bikes at discount supermarkets like Harald Nyborg or Bilka, starting around DKK 1200 or so, harald-nyborg.dk/400100/cykler-og-tilbehoer

3) Buying a second-hand bike: second-hand bikes tend to expensive in Copenhagen centre shops, but not in the provinces, or at websites like www.dba.dk

4) As a side remark: bikes can be easily be brought on the trains Göteborg - Copenhagen, and it´s not very expensive.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 18:39
Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get around in zone 1-2 for 2 months?

I have only found flex cards valid for 7 days. For a longer stay (like several weeks, a month or longer) a period card or travelcard (rejsekort) apparently are recommended. But I have been looking at all options and tried to compare them.

When it comes to accommodation, I am allowed to use that address when needed (if I need to get something sent to a Danish address and so on). In other words, I am allowed to use it as a postal address. But I cannot use it as an official address (‘folkeregisteradresse’). In case if I buy a period card and need a danish address.

I am not too keen on bringing a bike from Gothenburg to Copenhagen, or buy one in Copenhagen and bring it back home. After all, I am going to be away for 2 months. Even if I bring as little as possible to Copenhagen, I can imagine I will buy clothes, souvenirs and other things during my stay in Copenhagen. Which means several bags, and some may be heavy.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get around in zone 1-2 for 2 months?

The movia link above mentions Flex Cards for 30 days in the area. Flex Cards holders don´t need to inform about address or bring a photo, to my knowledge. Flex Cards can be exchanged by several people, hence their name.

If you try to buy a periodekort at a station, add "c/o" + the household name in front of your address, if the house has another resident/owner as well.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 19:43
5. Re: Best way to get around in zone 1-2 for 2 months?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 05:17