We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

Cork
Level Contributor
231 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

We will be visiting Copenhagen at Christmas and are looking for some reasonably priced bars. Just wondering why wine is so expensive in bars and restaurants is it the duty ??

Can anyone recommend some supermarkets near the Nyvhavan area where we can purchase wine & beer as I presume it is cheaper in the supermarkets. We will also go out to see some of the lovely bars but I know a lot of places will be closed on December 25

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

Discount supermarkets near Nyhavn:

"Netto", 47 Store Kongensgade

"Aldi", 52 Gothersgade (spartan)

Large selection:

"Magasin food store", basement of Magasin department store, Kongens Nytorv, by the Metro station. Usually, "bargain" prices will be for 2 bottles of each wine.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 09:57
Mentioned in this post
Nyhavn
Nyhavn
22,493 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cork
Level Contributor
231 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

Thanks a lot

Ballerup, Denmark
Level Contributor
941 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

It's not so much the duty, I think it's more the case of high minimum wages, your typical waiter will make 100+ DKK an hour and the profit margins are very slim for the restaurants. Beverages is the "cash-cow" they have to milk.

Rent is very expensive as well and there is a lot of competition. Even if the prices generally seem very high, a lot of restaurants are struggling - just like anywhere else, it's a tough business.

Expect to pay around 50-70 DKK for a decent/good bottle of wine in a supermarket. Beer is about the only thing that's really cheap in Denmark, you can get a 0,5 liter can for anywhere from 4-5 DKK for the discount brands.

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Cork
Level Contributor
231 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

Thank you for explaining that I was just wondering why it was so high, it's expensive in Ireland in restaurants but not as dear as Copenhagen but it's due to government duty. We will still enjoy a few drinks out but just want to have options when places are closed on December 25th etc

Josephine

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
603 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

There's a lovely wine bar in Nørrebro called Vinhanen - they are very reasonably priced and you can eat there, too. I would assume that it is closed for Christmas, though.

Mentioned in this post
Vinhanen
Vinhanen
25 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
6. Re: Why is wine so expensive in bars/ restaurants in Copenhagen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:16