We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Fines

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Metro Fines

Forgive me if this question has been asked in the past, I did a cursory search but couldn't find anything.

As my fiance and I were on the Metro, on our way to Kastrup for our departing flight home, a conductor came on to check everyone's tickets. We showed her our tickets, and she promptly let us know that our tickets were wrong and informed us that we would be issued a fine. Apparently we needed a 3 zone ticket, but we had incorrectly purchased 2 zone tickets (which we had mistakenly been doing throughout our week long stay). Nothing we or the other passengers around us said or asked helped our case. We were unfortunately getting a fine, and that was that

We are not sure what to do... We obviously don't want to pay the fine, which we feel is undeserved. The fine is for 750DKK (about $130US), and is the same fine someone might get if they had NO ticket on the Metro. We had a ticket. As we suggested, we could have gotten off the train and purchased another ticket to make up for the difference. It's all very frustrating.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing in CPH? Did you pay the fine once you left Denmark? Have you since returned and was there any trouble? Have you run into any issues anywhere else because you have an unpaid Metro fine...?

Any advice, and especially personal anecdotal information, would be greatly appreciated!

100 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Metro Fines

Even though one could hope for better courtesy among inspection staff towards tourists, it all went according to rules, and dozens of Danes experience the same every day and have to pay their fines. Ignorance of the law is universally accepted juridically as not qualifying for a reduced fine.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 18:29
2. Re: Metro Fines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 06:35

Bristol
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
3. Re: Metro Fines

Hi,

Almost the exact same thing just happened to us! Do you mind telling me what happened afterwards? I've just realised that we were supposed to pay or complain within 14 days and we've now missed that deadline...

We're back in the UK now but we're off backpacking for a year soon.

Thanks

Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Metro Fines

The conductor di it by the book, unlucky for you and for many others this is "normal" problem adn ther eis no way around it.

The ticket system with the area around Copenhagen divided into zones can be confusing even for locals.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Metro Fines

There is no mercy if you are cought without the right ticket or no ticket...the fine is the same.

Actually it sounds as if the person controlling you have been a little nice anyway, if you have gotten only one fine at kr. 750. I read your posting as if both of you had 2 zone ticket, but you only had one fine? So you have actually been allowed to 'transfer' one zone from one person to the other?!

Now this happened to you at the end of the week. Had it happended at the start of the week, you would still have had a fine AND the rest of your rides would have been more expenssive (full price). Now - at least - you have had a lot of cheaper rides to help cover the loss ;-)

Worth case scenario - if you don't pay - is that the fine will be attributable to fees for late payment and finally legal actions. So eventhoug dkk 750 is a lot of money, it won't get cheaper by ignoring.

So my best advice...pay the fine, get over it and move on.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: Metro Fines

Consider yourself lucky for getting only one fine! You are obliged to check out which ticket is valid before you enter the train. In your case, you honestly didn't know you needed 3 zones, but imagine if everybody played dumb and got away with it...

I think the lady was nice and saved you 750 DKK and I would advise you to pay the fine. It is the only fair thing to do.

7. Re: Metro Fines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 18:35

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Metro Fines

These repeated inquiries on "is it OK to just skip paying a fine, issued by Copenhagen transport inspection staff due to our lack of suitable ticket" are not really appropriate on this forum, actually it is probably against the forum rules.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 18:01
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
131 reviews
9. Re: Metro Fines

"We obviously don't want to pay the fine, which we feel is undeserved."

How do you feel it is undeserved? Riding public transportation with an invalid ticket (wrong=invalid) is like stealing. If you get caught, you pay the fine.

Advice - pay the fine and move on.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 18:43
Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Metro Fines

The OP is long gone, she posted 9 months ago; this comes up quite often on the Paris forum too. Seems like it is always unfair to get fines;-)

Edited: 28 February 2014, 00:31
Reply to: Metro Fines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted