We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week trip for work, with young family

Greater London...
2 posts
3 week trip for work, with young family

I live in London and will be visiting CPH for work in late Feb, early March. The work site is located close to Kildedal St S-train station. I'll be travelling with my wife and 2 children - 3 years and 10 months. While there we will also host the odd relative for a few nights at a time.

So, questions...

Where to stay?

My guess is anywhere along the S-train line between Kildedal St and the Central Station will be convenient for commuting. The main priority is that there are places for my wife to take the kids to get out and about - preferably easily walkable or at least easy public transport.

Beyond the area itself, recommendations for apartments would be good too! Cost will be subsidised by work but not completely since I'm choosing to bring the family. So top end is out but it doesn't need to be super budget either!

How to travel?

Car - Ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland and 6+ hour drive - gives flexibility in terms of luggage and bringing bikes and options for trips at the weekends, but I understand parking could be tricky.

Fly - more limited in terms of what we can bring but faster

Many thanks in advance for all your suggestions and opinions.

5 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1. Re: 3 week trip for work, with young family

In terms of public transport, the s-train to Kildedal connects with other metro or s-train lines where it is easy to change trains. All lines are frequent. Check www.journeyplaner.dk for public transport connections.

Frederiksberg could be a nice option, as there is both the s-train line and the metro line you can use, and a lot of stuff to do with children. Two large parks: Frederiksberg have and Søndermarken with playgrounds, several other playgrounds as well, public swimming pool (Frederiksberg svømmehal), ku.be (indoor playground), the zoo, etc. Parking you have to pay for though. You'd have to get further out for free street parking. Check this link: https:/…parkeringszoner-i-kobenhavn.asp

uk
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: 3 week trip for work, with young family

I would recommend searching apartments on Airbnb for your dates and see what is available. There is usually a really good selection.

You can filter to find properties with car parking included which would solve one of your problems.

You can also filter by area, I would suggest Indre By (city centre), near Nørreport Station or Central Station will make your commute easy and give your wife plenty of options of things to do.

This is an apartment friends and family of mine have rented previously, it has free parking and is close to the Lakes and Ørsted Park which has a great play ground. It is a 5 minute walk from Nørreport so good for your commute too.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/928173

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
456 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: 3 week trip for work, with young family

I live between Copenhagen and London so I travel constantly between the two

In regards to how to get to Copenhagen:

Having a car when you're here with a family for longer time, and want to perhaps roam around and do day trips is a nice luxury to have, it's not a necessity though to have a car in copenhagen so if it doesn't make sense for you to drive then it'll be fine.

I have taken the harwich/hook connection myself. Take the overnight ferry which will get you into the Netherlands the following morning and then it will take you approx 8 hours to reach Copenhagen. Take the ferry connection puttgarden/rødby to get from Germany to DK - its the easiest and fastest. (The connection sails all day/night every 30 min I believe)

You can do some stops in Germany and see some of the cities enroute. It's actually not a bad drive to do. Unfortunately they cancelled the direct ferry from harwich to Denmark a few years ago.

If you decide to fly then check out Norwegian airlines. They go from gatwick but have very reasonable prices and good service. Not like other lowcost airlines such as Ryanair and easyjet. This is of course the fastest route.

Re area to live, I agree with above comment. Frederiksberg would be a good suggestion. Re parking prices you can check this link for Frederiksberg: https:/…

https://www.frederiksberg.dk/en/english

Might be worth purchasing weekly parking pass for 370dkk. Remember when parking around Copenhagen you often need to set the clock on a parking disk to the time you park, which is a stable in all Danish cars. You can cheaply purchase one of these otherwise you will get fined.

This is the link in English on general parking: https:/…parking-copenhagen

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
241 posts
4. Re: 3 week trip for work, with young family

There a plenty of options for finding a cheap car for day use in Copenhagen.

GoMore is good (private people renting out their car while not using it).

So you could use this if you want to do a day trip with car. But of cause this does not allow you to bring more stuff.

If you have a few days extra, driving here and seeing something on the way, could ve nice.

And agree in finding something located in Frederiksberg municipality if you bring car - parking is cheaper here than in Copenhagen municipality.

Stay near a s-train station which is on the c line. This limits the best parts of Frederiksberg in my opinion. So if you not bring a car, you shouldn't limit yourself to Frederiksberg.

All stations from Svanemøllen to Vanløse is quite central and nice for families. But of course you might want to be as close to Kildedal as possible to minimize the transportation time.

So agree, check out airbnb and find something that fits your family and budget and look for the s-train stations near by.

If you find some apartments that fits you, feel free to ask us again for the choice btw different locations.

Greater London...
2 posts
5. Re: 3 week trip for work, with young family

Thanks for the all the suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Edited: 26 January 2018, 22:56
Reply to: 3 week trip for work, with young family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted