We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

Do you have to have a visa/am ex that has a four digit pin. Just a regular credit card won’t work? Did u call you bank and gave them add a pin # to ur current card? Or did you have to get a new card just for ur trip?

14 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
786 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

My Visa credit card doesn’t have a pin number and I used it many times with no problem in Copenhagen last spring. It’s a chip and sign card. Just make sure you let Visa know that you will be traveling overseas.

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
18 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

Yes, you will need a 4 pin security code to pay in all shops. However, below 200 Danish Kroner oyu can use the wireless payment but then again, you need a credit card with that feature enabled.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
786 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

I didn’t have that experience of needing a 4 digit pin but maybe things have changed since last spring when I was there? I used my Bank of America Visa card in many restaurants and shops. I would tell the person that my card was a chip and sign and the machine would print out a receipt for me to sign. I, too, was confused before my trip so I called BofA customer service and they said if they gave me a pin # and I used it, it would be the same as taking out a cash advance, which would result in hefty fees. You will, of course, need a pin number for your debit card for ATM machines.

uk
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

European cards are now pretty much exclusively chip and pin - for us to sign for a purchase is a thing of the past.

Merchants are however very used to North American cards not using pin numbers and you should have no problems.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

In less touristy areas however, a card without pin might cause some confusion. So be prepared to explain to the staff why your card is different. And I'm not sure if you can pay for things in machines without a pin.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

I was in Europe last year, including Denmark, and never had a problem using my Visa credit card, Merchants are use to American cards and automatically do a chip and sign. The only problem I had with a credit card is you can't use them in ticket machines without a pin, so I would just use my debit card then.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

I am still confused on this everyone...I have an American VISA card (no overseas transaction charges) that I have never had an issue with overseas anywhere.It has no pin number attached to it.Just the built in chip and sign.

Will I be okay just in Copenhagen ? I really need to be definite on my answer please.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

@ KweqSmanit

You will be fine. The only thing is that you can not use your card in the ticket machine at the train stations and the like. In shops, restaurants etc, your card will be accepted.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

okay thank you.

the person at the train ticket counter/booth can accept it right ?

and the airport ?

Edited: 09 April 2018, 15:23
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin

Yes. If there is a ticket office or a 7eleven at the station (they sell tickets on the train stations).

However, they closed the ticket office at the airport, so I am not sure if you can buy tickets with chip and signature cards.

The other option is to withdraw cash, to use the mobile app option or to get a pin for your card

Reply to: Does visa credit card really have to have a 4 digit pin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted