We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

Hi all, I need some help please. My wife and I are in early 60's, reasonably fit but prefer easy walking. We love sightseeing, history and especially the viking era. We love having coffee with locals and not so interested in commercial shopping. We are planning to fly to Copenhagen late August and have 4 full days after a day recovery from our flight from Australia. We will then pick up a cruise and have a further day ashore.

I'm not sure where we will stay either near the airport or in the city (advice please). Needs to be 4 star at least but affordable, maybe around 1300 DKrone per day.

I'd love some advice on an itinerary for 4 full days and also a further day later on. I'm thinking for the shore leave time, a walking tour or something like that. Oh also, we don't want to pack the day in. One or two sights per day maximum. We are not into clubbing or heavy night life. Thanks for help in advance.

15 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

I am also planning a trip there around the same time. I'm interested in seeing your responses.

Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

I would recommend you to book a hotel in the inner city or at Vesterbro. Prices for hotels here in Copenhagen is a little high though, so don't expect a 4-starred hotel for your budget in August. Check out First Hotel Twentyseven, First Hotel Mayfair or Savoy hotel. If you want a more luxurious experience, I would recommend Airbnb's. Danes take good care of their homes, as we spend a lot of time in them normally.

With 4 days, I would recommend you to explore different aspects of our lovely city. One of the days could be dedicated to the sights on a walking tour of the city - there are plenty of tour providers offering that! For more specialized tours focusing on aspects of Danish culture, neighborhoods or local interaction, check out Copenhagen Urban Adventures for assistance.

Since you're interested in the viking element, I would of course also recommend a day tour to Roskilde to check out the Viking Museum (Vikingeskibsmuseet), which can be supplemented by the exhibition of the Viking era at the National Museum of Denmark located in Copenhagen.

Edited: 20 January 2018, 17:53
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

Hotel recommendations:

Near the airport: Bella Sky or Crowne plaza. Located very close (especially Crowne Plaza) to the oresund metro station which is a 10 min ride into the city center. 5 min drive to the airport (both hotels have an airport shuttle which is rare in Copenhagen) and located walking distance to Fields shopping mall (believe it's the biggest mall in copenhagen).

For city center: many options but August is part of high season so check prices. The chain of scandic hotels can be a good option. The best located ones are scandic front (just out to the water close to Nyhavn) or scandic palace by city hall square

Hotel skt annae / hotel Nyhavn71 / hotel Babette guldsmeden/ hotel admiralen/ hotel Phoenix are all in city center but some might be above the budget you mentioned

Adina apartment hotels (close to the cruise pier) could also be an option. Or the brand new 'stay seaport' which is also serviced apartments by langelinie cruise terminal (very close to little mermaid)

Hotel Ibsen, hotel kong Frederik and hotel Andersen are quite popular hotels in here on the forum. Can't vouch though.

Suggestions for itinerary:

One of the days you could take the direct train to helsingor and see kronborg palace (where hamlet took place). It's a nice day out. 40 min trains ride

Another day (or half day trip) is the direct train to hillerød to see Frederiksborg castle and garden. This is quite beautiful

If you're into art, then Louisiana museum up north in Humlebæk is also a really nice place to go in beautiful surroundings.

Or the Roskilde suggestions is also a good option if you're into Vikings. They also have a well known cathedral.

Doing either of above on one of the days would be a nice relaxed day out.

Seeing the changing of the guards at amalienborg palace at 12pm every day (they walk from Rosenborg palace (where the Crown Jewels are kept) 11.30am to amalienborg)

Go to the top of our saviors church - quite spectacular view. Don't go if you're afraid of heights though.

Torvehallerne is a food hall by norreport station. It's quite unique place to sample loads of Danish specialities and cute eateries.

Carlsberg brewery tour

Kastellet is a nice sight to walk through

Tivoli is a really nice amusement park - even if you're not into rides. Eating wise there's everything from Michelin starred restaurants to hotdog stands.

There's a new foodhall opened up in front of Tivoli as well. You can access this without going into the park.

I think a Segway tour is a fun way to see the city. I always recommend a company called Segway cruise because I've tried them. They are just by the cruise terminal also. It's a good way to get to know the city and see a lot in short time.

There are also many walking tours to choose from. The free ones from sandeman seem to get good reviews. There are also nova fairytale walking tours. But I think you need to check specific reviews to choose, cause there are quite a few with different routes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

Thanks for your response hendrik. Fantastic suggestions including hotels. Very much appreciated.

Ocean Park...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

We are doing a similar trip, just staying in Copenhagen in May after a 19 day re-positioning cruise from the US. We've been watching hotel/airbnb/vrbo prices for the last two months, and finally decided to book at Hotel Vesterbro in the city center after reading so many positive reviews. My only advice is book early, as prices are high and popular places sell out quickly. We might have saved a few hundred dollars booking earlier! It's at a good price, includes breakfast, has free WiFi, is close to everything we wanted to see. It is an easy walk to trains/bus depot so we can get to the airport quickly before heading home. For tips on what to see check out this fella: www.ricksteves.com. He's an American tour guide who specializes in europe "through the back door". Offers all kinds of free downloadable podcasts and self guided walking tours. He also publishes a Northern European Cruise Ports book I borrowed from the library that gives wonderful advice on what to see in each port you visit, how to use public transportation and practical advice on packing, walking tours and places to eat. We've used his advice for years and absolutely love him.. good luck!

NY
Level Contributor
100 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

We are also traveling in the end of august. And it looks like the rooms are $200+ per night. Should we look farther away for 2 days before the cruise or the transportation to see the city will kill the vacation?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

What was Hotel Vesterbro like?

Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

4 star hotels at that price range is difficult, especially in late August that is high season here. I would recommend you to check out some Airbnb apartments, they're good value and often much more luxurious than a hotel can ever be.

With your interests, I would recommend to do a theme-based small group tour. It could either be on bike, by boat or by walking - the focus should be on the dialogue between you, since you like to chat with locals. There are plenty of options for this whether it's food, drinks, culture, history or sights you're interested in. On the top of my head, I know Copenhagen Urban Adventures, Food Tours Copenhagen, Hey Captain and Nova Fairy Tales who all do tours like this.

I hope you find a nice itinerary that will create an amazing stay for you.

Edited: 17 July 2018, 07:22
Sweden
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

You should plan a day trip going around Øresund! There is a ticket called Around the Sound, which costs 249 DKK per person. With this you can take the train to visit the Kronborg Castle (1 hour) in Elsinore, then take the ferry (20 minutes) to Helsingborg in Sweden. From there there are trains going towards Copenhagen (1 hour) over the Øresund bridge. You can also make a stop in some of the cities along the way, for example in Lund or Malmø.

Total travel time is around 2,5 hours, so planning for a full day will give you lots of time to visit the sights that you find most interesting on the way..

https:/…around-sound-gdk412377

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
160 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise

great info, thanks to all! planning for Sept 2019

Reply to: 4 full days in Copenhagen plus a day later from cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted