We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2018 holiday

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
2018 holiday

We came to this island about 12 years ago and stayed in the town,

Has it changed much in those years?

Can you still get a boat out to Skopelos for a day trip?

I can not remember what we did on the island but if I remember right you could catch a bus to the other places.

Has the prices of meals gone up? We stayed in Kalami in Corfu one year and we didn’t get much change from bottle of wine and a main meal each from e50 only two of us? Didn’t order anything fancy.

Is July the beginning of July a good time to go?does it get as hot as the other Greek islands?

Nice places to eat in the town! Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
30 replies to this topic
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 2018 holiday

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4098444/Thousan…

Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: 2018 holiday

The once whiter than white stones at lalaria are now coated in a fur algae ..,, I always wear earplugs now and dip them in vinegar when swimming.. I have been mocked before posting about the sweet water bubbling up at Kolios but the article in the previous post references how landfill back filters and surfaces on beaches.. .. as for the cats they kill the rats but I don’t understand the Greek laws banning volunteer vets operating for free to neuter them? Fortunately it’s not a climate that roaches prefer, I think the cold snap in winter frightens them away....

Edited: 03 December 2017, 18:14
Mentioned in this post
Kolios
Kolios
Skiathos, Greece
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
267 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 2018 holiday

There are plenty of cockroaches in Skiathos

Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: 2018 holiday

Yes plenty, I see many of the two legged variety in July and August ... the ones that the cold snap scares off...

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 2018 holiday

I don’t welcome cats around my Skiathos restaurant table but appreciate the locals have a reason for tolerating them. Almost certainly it’s the roaches and the rats, populations of which come and go according to the rules of nature and the seasons. All the more reason not to feed the creatures (cats) but to let them earn their living.

Edited: 03 December 2017, 20:11
Durham
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 2018 holiday

David, the two legged variety you see in July care to expand ?

Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: 2018 holiday

I saw most in the carpark at kooks, boarding the bus but unfamiliar with the queuing system....

Skiathos, Greece
Level Contributor
708 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 2018 holiday

The volunteer vets do neuter the cats when asked too and a small donation is asked for in return,

I think there are less cats around than in previous years, and most of the taverna cats have their ears clipped to indicate neutering.

Less Sea Life ?

Maybe too many Fish Mezes being consumed ?

Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: 2018 holiday

Sorry Basil but some crazy law doesn’t allow the volunteer vets to work for free, I am aware that the cats are being neutered and have an ear clip after but not sure if they are officially allowed to do it.

theorphanpet.com/greek-authorities-stop-ster…

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,806 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 2018 holiday

The vets and helpers, were on the island last month, and the neutering programme details were well advertised as usual ...

Reply to: 2018 holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted