We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2018 holiday

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
2018 holiday

We came to this island about 12 years ago and stayed in the town,

Has it changed much in those years?

Can you still get a boat out to Skopelos for a day trip?

I can not remember what we did on the island but if I remember right you could catch a bus to the other places.

Has the prices of meals gone up? We stayed in Kalami in Corfu one year and we didn’t get much change from bottle of wine and a main meal each from e50 only two of us? Didn’t order anything fancy.

Is July the beginning of July a good time to go?does it get as hot as the other Greek islands?

Nice places to eat in the town! Any suggestions?

30 replies to this topic
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
268 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2018 holiday

In 12 years as everywhere Skiathos has got busier, the town has got bigger as have the supermarkets and the port. Buses still run regularly to all the southern beaches and the monastery. Many boats go to Skopelos as do the ferries. You can easily pay €50 for a meal for two people but you can also pay as little as you would wish. Giros, Kozakias are two which are excellent value and very tasty and filling. July usually has excellent weather with the temperature as hot as any other Greek Island. The town probably has many more than 50 restaurants and tavernas to choice from, everyone has their favourites, my advice is to wander through the streets and waterfront and choose one that is busy (especially with Greeks). The standard of food is very high and it is quite difficult to get a bad meal.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2018 holiday

Thanks still thinking about going.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
279 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2018 holiday

Hi we are not big eaters so its very rare we have starters, we have a main each and a couple of drinks and we never pay has much as 50 euro but always leave a tip also you usually get a complimentary dessert.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2018 holiday

We are the same Denny...

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2018 holiday

12 years ??? things have changed Sidami .... everything changes during that period . Come back , enjoy the Island , the people are exactly the same

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2018 holiday

Can I ask whether the buses have changed!? We last came to Skiathos in 2003, and the buses were ridiculously busy. We're thinking of returning next summer (peak season), but the state of the buses might dictate whereabouts on the island that we stay.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2018 holiday

Buses were quiet in 2003 compared to today, where they simply cannot cope in high season. Even in June this year they were extremely busy unfortunately.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2018 holiday

Depends of course when you are visiting, but yes they are busy at peak periods and very busy in July/August ...

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2018 holiday

Thanks. Unlike in 2003, we'll have young kids with us this time, and the thought of those buses with kids in tow fills me with dread!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2018 holiday

Go with the flow, it will be fine. The Greeks love children, its the tourists who have the problem ...

Reply to: 2018 holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos