We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
25 reviews
Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

We got a great deal on flights in June 2018 to Thesaloniki - they were significantly cheaper than flights to Skiathos or to Athens. I know there was a ferry last year from Thesaloniki to Skiathos - as far as I can tell (from previous Tripadvisor posts) it was a Hellenic Seaways cat leaving at 9 and getting in around 12.30? It seems that this is a relatively recent ferry route (not sure that it ran before 2016?) and I was just wondering if anyone knows if it will be running again in 2018 or is it just a case of wait and see? Also wondering if anyone knew the times from this summer from Skiathos back to Thesaloniki? Are there any other ferry operators on this route or is Hellenic the only one?

Many thanks

12 replies to this topic
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
8,231 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

Too early for Hellenic to have any detail of 2018 programme. They are the only ones operating the service, since Nel gave up the route. See the SkopelosNews site for this years (2017) timetable ...

https:/…

Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

Thanks very much SkiathosLover - that's exactly what I was looking for! Hopefully Hellenic will continue the route along similar lines this year. 2017 seems to have been a strong year for tourism in Greece so maybe if there is good demand on this route it will be run again. If not we will look at other options - maybe bus to Volos and ferry from there... but this route would definitely be more convenient. It will be our 4th visit to Skiathos in 2018 and we are very much looking forward to it!

Skiathos, Greece
Level Contributor
816 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

The Helenic Sea Cat left Thessaloniki at 10am each day and arrived at Skiathos at 1pm, then went on to Skopelos and I think Alonisos as well, returning to Skiathos at 4 pm and arriving back in Thessaloniki at 7pm. A very popular route,it was a shame the service finished towards the end of September. There is a need for it to run twice a week in winter, however Hellenic would not leave it sitting in Thessaloniki the rest of the week.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

>>There is a need for it to run twice a week in winter<<

I think it would be more canceled than it would make the trip. This type of vessel is not very suited for running in winter weather (storm, high wind and choppy seas). And secondly I think it's commercially no option. A ferry company is ment to have profits from it's activities not a loss. And that's exactly what this line would be in winter, a money pit.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

It's a case of ...... wait and see , keep an eye on transfer timetables .... Kriandos

Skiathos, Greece
Level Contributor
816 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

The Sea Cat runs up to a 7-8 Beaufort scale,the Islands ferries were subsidised by the government as they are oblidged to run a service to the islands.

Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

thanks everyone for your replies... fingers crossed for 2018!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
8,231 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

Subsidies removed - 'No we must not have any competition on the routes' - Thats not fair!

So Hellenic now say no to winter, and tuck the Sporades Cats up in Piraeus, until next April ...

2 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

Are ferries to Skiathos for June 2018 pretty much settled at this point? We're looking to take a ferry to Skiathos on 30 JUN, and we have been unable to find the Thesaloniki - Skiathos route. There is a ferry from Volos - Skiathos, but for some reason Saturdays have less options (only AM, which would mean an added overnight or very late night drive to Volos). Is it typical for there to be less options on a Saturday?

Thanks for the insight, this group has been such a help for our planning and we're excited for our 1st visit to Skiathos!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
8,231 posts
71 reviews
10. Re: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos

Express Skiathos car ferry at 07:45 or ANES Proteus car ferry at 10:00

No Flying Cat on a Saturday from Volos

Aegean Flying Dolphin will release timetable after 20th May ...

Reply to: Ferry - Thesaloniki to Skiathos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos
Recent Conversations