We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about hiking / walking routes

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about hiking / walking routes

I have read "Samos car tours and walks" by Brian and Eileen Anderson and found some interesting routes. If someone here has experienced these walks/routes, I would be glad to have comments:

A walk from Mytilini -> Ag. Triades -> Moni Spilianis -> Pythagorion (12,7km). Is this very heavy if I take this starting from down Pythagorion to upwards Mytilini? I live in Pythagorion, so it could be nicer to start it from there and then have a lunch in Mytilini and take a bus or taxi back.

A walk from Kokkari -> Vourliotes -> Manolates -> Stavrinides -> Ag Konstantinos (17,5km). This is the one I'm most interested in. Is it nice? Is it possible to visit the Valley of Nightingales from this route? Is it doable or too much?

I'm in quite good physical condition, so that's not a problem. But I'm afraid of heights. Will it be a problem on these routes, what do you think? If you have any other walking ideas (5-20km) especially starting from Pyhtagorion I would be glad to hear tips. Thank you and have a nice summer :-)

Edited: 25 April 2018, 10:15
Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
507 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Pythagorion
Pythagorion
Samos, Greece
Kokkari
Kokkari
Samos, Greece
8 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

Also very interested in replies about Kokkari-Agios Konstantinos route.

OP: Do you have a copy of the 'Nightingale Walks' map? I can try to find the link and post it if you like.

Mentioned in this post
Kokkari
Kokkari
Samos, Greece
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

I guess the first route from Mytilini to Pythagorion you have to walk only by road. But he second is more interesting cause you will walk through forests and it differs in heights, curvy paths, from which you'll have beautiful views and also see the terrazas where they produce grapes. The way up to Manolates (attitude about 400 mtrs) is just where you're walking through the Valley of Ninghtingales..From Manolates to Stravrinides will be difficult cause of the fact it isn't really a footpath (many litlle stones) and it isn't as interesting the path from Kokkari to Manolates but that's a personal experience.

Mentioned in this post
Pythagorion
Pythagorion
Samos, Greece
Kokkari
Kokkari
Samos, Greece
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

Thanks very much for the response

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

Samos is a great place for hiking and, dependng on the time of year you intend to travel, both the walks you've selected will be fine. At the height of summer temperatues get up to the mid thirties and so you may find the longer walk a bit tough. Any other time of year and you'll find it a beautiful, if challenging, walk. That said, the paths are well marked and there are no steep drops to worry about.

As mentioned, the walk from Mytilini does involve a fair bit of road. If you were to do it in reverse (i.e. from Pythagorion) you could continue straight on at Ag Ioannis. This shortens the walk and misses out Ag Triades but does reduce the amount of road walking which, if memory serves, is pretty dull.

Most places in Vourlites will stock the free Nightingales Walks map which is very detailed with a number of other walks in the area.

Finally, when in Vourliotes, you must visit Blue Chairs probably the best Taverna on the island.

Edited: 29 April 2018, 11:02
Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
507 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Blue Chairs
Blue Chairs
96 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

Thank you for your comments. We'll be traveling to Samos in two weeks. I've been there several times before, but never done any hiking.

Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
507 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

Thanks again.

Can anybody give me an idea of the approximate location of designated bus stops in Kokkari? Or is it acceptable on Samos to just wave down the bus at any stage of its route?

Edited: 12 May 2018, 08:21
Mentioned in this post
Kokkari
Kokkari
Samos, Greece
Samos
Samos
507 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

K-tel buses, public buses, stops in the centre of Kokkari near the church and a little outside Kokkari near Lemmonakia Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Kokkari
Kokkari
Samos, Greece
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about hiking / walking routes

Thanks very much for this

Reply to: Questions about hiking / walking routes