We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Having booked our holiday through BA and organised transfers we expected a “good” company given the price we paid. This could not of been further from the truth. The taxi guy reluctantly took us to his “old Skoda” and after trying to make small talk I could see he was not interested after noting he turned his radio up blasting out local music?? Settling down in the front with my husband and two children in the back (16 and12). I looked forward to a scenic journey to Elounda. That would of been the case if the car was driving at a speed appropriate to the road and the traffic we met along the way. Not only did he drive “way over” the limit (no exaggeration) but he took our lives in his hands by taking numerous risks on the road. If there was a vehicle to be overtaken he made it his sole focus to chase it, driving many times bumper to bumper and when passing alongside it could be touched - literally!!! Driving over chevrons around blind bends seemed a particular favourite. The final straw was when he nearly ran a local couple off the road. They proceeded to chase us and got out their vehicle at traffic lights to confront our driver. They banged on the car kicked it and shouted at the driver. My daughter already shaken from the journey as were we was sobbing. I shouted at the man to calm he was scaring my daughter which thankfully was observed by his wife who dragged him off not before taking another swing for the car. Sadly I agree with the local and the only saving grace was the last 9km was spent driving slower. Thankfully we have had a full refund from BA and our hotel is organising a transfer but no one should put anyone’s lives other than their own at risk like this. Please please do not use MTS until they can sort out their drivers behaviour it’s not worth your life!!!!

8 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,036 posts
398 reviews
1. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Wow that sounds like an absolute nightmare and thank you for taking the time post the feedback as a warning to others.

A couple of companies who regularly get good feedback are Heraklio and Heraklion Taxis (we have experience of Heraklio and they are excellent) https://herakliotaxi.com/ and https://www.herakliontaxi.com/en/index.html

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,346 posts
230 reviews
2. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Gosh sounds like a horrid journey and frightening for you all, and also very unusual not to have a Mercedes taxi as most are on the island ...... but it’s good that BA refunded your costs, and hopefully A peaceful and scenic return journey to Heraklion :-)

Meanwhile, I hope you are enjoying Elounda and having a chilled out time, if you need any advice or info then do just ask, we have a second home just outside Elounda so know the area fairly well....happy holidays

Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Thank you it was horrendous and spoilt the first 24 hours as I couldn’t settle and I felt awful as the staff at the hotel felt it let down the Cretian people who we have experienced are warm, kind hearted and family focused. We have Heraklio I believe to take us back so I feel more confident it will be a better experience.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,036 posts
398 reviews
4. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Heraklio will be absolutely fine and enjoy the rest of your holiday on the Magical Island Of Crete :-)

Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Hi there thank you it was not something I’d like to repeat in a hurry and certainly from what we have experienced from the kindness and sensitivity of the Cretian people this is out of character. We may of been unlucky but I would never use them again and trust my family to them. Elounda so far has been amazing and we enjoyed a trip over to Spinalonga quite emotional but an important piece of history. You’re lucky to have a home here it’s very beautiful!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,346 posts
230 reviews
6. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Hello again

Ahh no worries then Dimos and Heraklio taxis has a great reputation locally :-)

Edited: 21 October 2018, 17:29
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,346 posts
230 reviews
7. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Hello again

Just seen your response, yes we feel very blessed to have a second home here and to stay here part of the year, it’s a special Island, as I said earlier any queries then do just ask ....as always very happy to help

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,982 posts
103 reviews
8. Re: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID

Greek drivers in general seem not to be the most patient in the world, but the driving described is totally unacceptable. Hopefully BA will take it up with the company. As others have said, Heraklio taxis are very good and you should have nothing to worry about on the way back.

As a matter of interest, how much were you charged for the transfer?

Edited: 22 October 2018, 07:21
Reply to: MTS Heraklion Airport - AVOID
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted