We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Mosquitos

Just wondering how bad the mosquito situation is looking this year.

Last year my other half got bitten to shreds, although we were using a 'herbal' repellent spray for most of the trip and only discovered the difference DEET made on the last couple of days.

We've already started the vitamin B1 supplements to see if they help and will be picking up some deet based spray as soon as we arrive. Incidentally, is there somewhere near chania bus station we could buy some?

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
751 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitos

They will almost certainly have some in the bus station shop beside the ticket office, or you could cross over the road to Plateia 1866 where there is a Pharmacy, Almost opposite the bus station is an INKA supermarket.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitos

I'll lay money on it being cheaper in the UK (Wilko's own tropical strength is £2.00, Superdrug's 50% DEET is £3.99). I think that the idea of vitamin B1 or 12 repelling the mosquito has been debunked (source Public Health England).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitos

I use Avon Skin So Soft Original as it works for me. I didn't get any bites in September and don't remember hearing or seeing any. Not sure about next month though.

I try not to use Deet based products as I don't think it does my health any good at all.

Edited: 20 May 2016, 11:36
Newport, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Mosquitos

I'm not convinced about B1 myself and haven't seen any studies that definitely prove one way or the other. Since there's anecdotal evidence it might help I don't see the harm in trying it.

Last year we used herbal repellents for most of the trip and they were virtually useless. We switched to DEET on the last couple of days and didn't get any more bites at all. There have been many studies which confirm DEET works, such as: …oxfordjournals.org/content/15/1/140 and nejm.org/doi/…articleTop

there have also been many studies which show DEET is harmless to humans: …biomedcentral.com/articles/…1756-3305-7-173

Thanks for the tip about superdrug. We're only taking hand luggage this year so we'd assumed we would have to buy when we arrived. I've looked into the regulations now and it seems we can take the spray with us, provided the container is less than 100ml and we put it in a transparent plastic bag before we get to security.

5. Re: Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 18:21
Newport, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Mosquitos

You'd be surprised just how many clothes you can take with a 10kg allowance!

7. Re: Mosquitos

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Mosquitos

Enough to wear something different each day of the holiday. Why pay extra for something you're not going to use?

9. Re: Mosquitos

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
170 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Mosquitos

I agree that Skin so soft by Avon works very well. It's actually a moisturiser, but we use it when we go to Africa. The British army use this when in mosquito infected areas.

Get answers to your questions about Chania Town