We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete in December

1 post
Crete in December

Hello all, I am planning to visit Crete in early December for 5 days. So far my only plans are to fly into Chania and spend one day there, and fly out of Heraklion and spend one full day there. That leaves me three open days. I would llike to do hikes and outdoor activities during these days but I know the weather forces some places to close in December and the island is relatively quiet at this time. I'm travelling by myself and plan to rent a car for the 3 days in between Chania and Heraklion. Any suggestions on fun activities are appreciated!

2 replies to this topic
Chania Prefecture...
Destination Expert
for Almyrida, Crete
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Crete in December

H i Andrew,

Welcome to the forums,

You are right that most hotels in the tourist resorts will be closed in December, but there will be some open, albeit not much choice, especially in the towns that have year-round populations. So, Chania, Rethymno, Heraklion, Agios Nikolaos are the larger towns/ cities where you will find hotels & restaurants open & won't feel too 'closed down'. But also in smaller towns & villages, wherever people live, there will be some tavernas open & you may have to ask around for rooms .I don't think you need to book beforehand, as long as you don't mind asking about in cafes/bars for someone to open you a room up!

I would recommend you stay in Chania for more than a day, as it is a very beautiful city, & with a hire car you could easily base yourself here for your whole trip.

Your activities are going to be weather dependent. For instance, if it's not too wet you might enjoy the hike down Imbros gorge. In good weather to drive around some of Crete's interior, into the rural areas, into the hills etc is great - perhaps look at Thronos at the head of the Amari valley, the Aravanes rooms are open & attract walkers etc, the views are outstanding.

Or stay in Rethymno for a couple of days, it's a lovely town.

You don't have a lot of time, so won't give you too many suggestions! Please feel free to ask more questions

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Crete in December

Great suggestions from Jill F. I agree that Chania would be an excellent base for exploring western Crete. Apart from the Imbros Gorge, which is the standout hiking suggestion, there are many other possibilities: it's a good area for walking. The Akrotiri peninsula and its three monasteries makes a good walking day out; as does the walk to Polyrhinia from Kissamos. I think you'll make better use of your time by staying in one place and exploring from it, instead of shifting bases.

I think you might consider two nights in Heraklion so as to give you one full day and a bit extra: Knossos and of course the splendid Archaological Museum are the "musts", but the city itself is full of interest and repays some time spent in it.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 10:02
Reply to: Crete in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted