We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heraklion to Athens connection

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
205 reviews
Heraklion to Athens connection

Hello, I am traveling with my daughter to Greece in June. We plan to end our trip near Heraklion. We would have a 1:30 pm flight out of Athens back to the US. Would you leave Heraklion the night before or early the morning of our departing flight?

I am planning to book our flights to/from Athens and to/from Crete (we plan to fly into Chania and out of Heraklion) separately.

14 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
398 reviews
1. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

Are you still looking at flying out from Heraklion?

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

In one of Pat's more recent threads, she said that she and her daughter have abandoned the idea of visiting Knossos on their final day in Crete; and in yesterday's thread she posted that they are planning to spend their final day on a beach day near Chania, possibly Georgioupolis.

So I guess the answer is "no".

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
398 reviews
3. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

I was just bumping the thread hoping she would get an answer to the question on the flight to Athens whether it be from Chania or Heraklion airport ;-)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
230 reviews
4. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

Well spotted Alabastron :-)

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

I'm reading all these Aegean Air promotions lately. Perhaps OP could book protected connection flights after all? Would save a lot of headache.

Yuri.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
398 reviews
6. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

Thanks Yuri that's the kind of input I was hoping for when I bumped the thread :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

>I'm reading all these Aegean Air promotions lately. Perhaps OP could book protected connection flights after all? Would save a lot of headache.<

Yuri, no degree of protection on the Chania-Athens flight would help Pat if she missed her transatlantic flight from Athens! But in her latest post (see her current thread) she says:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g169…

she is planning to have a beach day somewhere near Chania on her Day 6, and then fly (presumably from Chania to Athens) in the afternoon, which suggests that her flight home to San Francisco is the following day. In that case, there is no problem, and she is doing what I'd have suggested if I'd seen her 27 September post at the time: that is, to be safe, get yourself to Athens the day before your international flight.

But when Pat tells us exactly what her plan is, we can advise her accordingly if my assumption from what she has told us so far isn't correct.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 18:44
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
398 reviews
8. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

Pat's flight home from Athens is at 1330 as stated in the opening post on this thread (which is why I bumped the thread as I don't know the answer but I know that one of the forum regulars will and will hopefully help out).

Edited: 21 October 2018, 18:51
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
398 reviews
9. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

Post 7 was being edited as I was typing and now with the added advice that arriving in Athens the day before your flight home is the way to go :-)

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
205 reviews
10. Re: Heraklion to Athens connection

Thanks for bumping the post! We have decided to fly in and out of Chania. We will be returning to Athens for the last few days of the trip, so we won't be doing both of these flights (into and out of Athens) on the same day.

Reply to: Heraklion to Athens connection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crete
Recent Conversations