We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Taxi

athens
Level Contributor
689 posts
Airport Taxi

last week my wife and i took a taxi from the airport to nea ionia where we live. it was about 23.00 so it was single rate.. the taxi asked us to pay the tolls... he made complaints about waiting 3 hours in line..well this is not our problem!!he wasnt waiting for us!! when we reached home the meter said 22 euros (no luggage!!)

he said that the normal prise is 35 euros but because we paid tolls he asked 30!30 is the prise for downtown athens not to the northern suburbs!!! but who could argue with an albanian taxi driver nearly 00:00 just outside his place! where could i find a policeman?????

i know we were ripped off!! i wrote a letter to he airport in proposing them to have kiosk where travellers can nagotiate the prise which the driver has to accept!!This system already exists in prague and bangkok!!!if taxi drivers dont accept it then the airport should not allow pick ups and drop offs from those that dont accept it!!

if this heppened to me it can happen to anyone so pls be very carefull and now that the metro reopened think twice of getting a taxi!it is time they are controlled!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
1. Re: Airport Taxi

I feel for you, as I've also recently been scammed by an airport taxi driver.

If the meter said 22 euros (and assuming this was correct) then you should have been asked to pay another 7 euros, so let's round it up to 30 euros total. This 7 euros include the cost of tolls, the airport pick up etc.

There is a poster at the front of the taxi queue at the airport, which gives indicative prices to certain locations in Athens. The total price for Peristeri (which is further away than Nea Ionia) is 31 euros single rate. I imagine the price for Nea Ionia may be something like 25-27 euros, assuming little or no traffic.

There is nothing much you can do about a driver who tries to fleece you, Albanian or otherwise. The only thing you can do is refuse to pay. In this case you could have handed over 20 or 25 euros and told them this is the fare and you refuse to pay any more. Programme the Athens Traffic Police telephone number in your mobile phone and ring them if in doubt: 210 5284000 (press 5 to get the officer in charge).

athens
Level Contributor
689 posts
2. Re: Airport Taxi

tinsey you are absolutely right!! i have done this b4!! but being late at night with my wife in front of my house there was little i could say to that kind of person!! (i was a chicken at that moment!!) i dont beieve that moment the duty officer could do anything!! that is if he picked up the phone!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Airport Taxi

suncobra, at least you are not a tourist who cannot go to or from Piraeus port for less than 20 Euros!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
4. Re: Airport Taxi

>>i dont beieve that moment the duty officer could do anything!! that is if he picked up the phone!!<<

Maybe not, but if they answered the phone (and I admit it's a big if) you could report the rogue taxi driver then and there.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about the taxi driver coming back to retaliate for a missed chance to fleece you. After all, he knows he's in the wrong, have no doubt about that!

5. Re: Airport Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 06:21