We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

I don't eat veal, lamb, goat, seafood and looking for advise on what to eat other than pasta. Also, do they have any beef like in the states? Thanks!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

I really don't think OP wants to avoid Greek cuisine :) Not to mention that it would be a tremendous pity to come here and stay in the "protective bubble" od Americam restaurants :)

I think OP is "victim" of the typical misconception many visitors have about Greek cuisine, thinking that we walk around holding a huge chop of lamb one hand and a huge spit a the other side :)

Many people abraad know that traditional Greek way of eating is healthy, still they don't know what exactly it includes, since their source of knowledge is Greek restaurants abroad.

Some greek restaurants aborad usually are too much meat-oriented, rustic-oriented and a bit tacky sometimes ( ouch ), mixing many different kind of tastes. More elaborate suggestions ( like Milos ) will go till fish menus and will do it very very well, still this is a misconception too. Greeks at the old days did not even have the money to get a fich everyday, while even at the islands villagers at the innerland did not use to include it in their daily menu.

Fish is a rare ingredient in traditional Greek diet. I don't mean "rare" in recipes number or tsate ( delicious, yes ). I just mean "rare" in how many Greeks actually had fish as a usual thing or as an everyday item. Not all Greeks were fishermen with a boat. I 'd say very few :) The big majority were farmers in a soil very difficult to tame but still doable.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

Actually I think this misconception comes from the way Greece is presented in our touristic campaigns: an ...endless chain of islands and...beaches while in fact only 10% of Greece is like that...:) (the rest is mountains...with mountains and...mountains...:))

In fact up until 1950 the 60% of the Greek population hadn't even SEEN the sea in their whole lifetime...:):)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

Certainly chicken and vegetable (eggplant: yummy) dishes are good alternatives. The fresh salads are wonderful.

My spouse does not eat seafood or pork; I am highly allergic to fish (with fins and scales); and we both seldom eat beef, but we have had absolutely no problem enjoying Greek food on our two visits to Athens in the past year.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

I too was worried about what I would eat on my 1st vacation to Greece. Now, 8 trips later and all I think about is the great food! Each year we try more variety and each year the food gets better and better. You'll see. Please send a post about this when you return. Have a great holiday!

Karen

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

well at this point the only certified point is that the OP eats pasta and steak.

If vegetarian dishes are an option, there are surely many good options mentioned here...which brings me to a point I've been noticing in many posts, why do we repeat ourselves, instead of just reading each other posts?

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

I want to thank everyone for their input as it sure was a great insight as to what food is really like. I do eat meat but I have been always very selective. I really want to dry different Greek dishes but was afraid of having someone tell me it was one type of meat and finding out it really was not. In 4 days I will be in Greece trying the food. Thanks again for all your help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
534 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

Dear Pa05:

I took a family group last October on a 22 day Greek Holiday. All picky eaters sans my husband.

Bottom line- chicken Kabobs, Salads, meatball mezes, veggies. There are also Pork Kabobs.

The meatballs are made of beef and there are macaroni layed dishes on almost every menu which you need to specify you do not want one iwht lamb in it.

You absolutely will not starve!!!!!

18. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 06:19