We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

I don't eat veal, lamb, goat, seafood and looking for advise on what to eat other than pasta. Also, do they have any beef like in the states? Thanks!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

>I don't eat lamb,<

actually most Greeks eat lamb VERY rarely (most only on Easter Sunday)

>goat,<

neither most Greeks do (maybe in the villages up in the mountains they do....)

>seafood<

only rich Greeks do,and these get scarcer each day...:),fresh fish forget about it,you have to be Bill Gates to afford it...:)

>Also, do they have any beef like in the states?<

yes there is TONS of beef in Greece and pork & chicken too (gyros is pork or chicken & of course there is a Mc Donalds and various other burger chains everywhere)

actually most Greeks eat tons of pork & chicken

and of course most Greek traditional foods are vegetarian.

basically I think you have confused Greece w/ a middle eastern country ....

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

First off, not to get personal, but do you pass on eating these foods because of a health issue, is it a religious dictate, or a social/political/environmental choice? The only reason I ask is that sometimes these meats are not specified on a menu, or can be used in combination with other ingredients. If you have health or religious concerns, you'll have to be extra careful when ordering! Sorry to say, but you'll have to pass on most gyro stands, unless a fluent English speaker can confirm the meat content. The meat on that giant vertical rotisserie can be beef, lamb, pork or 'unknown combination' of those... but in upscale souvlaki shops you can get chicken souvlakis, which are actually pretty good.

RE: Beef

Since joining the EU, beef has become much more common in Greece, and most of the common menu items you'll see are beef, chicken or pork. As stated in the previous reply, lamb is usually a special-occasion menu food!

If you have not already visited Matt Barrett's Greek Food Guide, I highly recommend it.

http://www.greecefoods.com/index.html

You can learn the names and ingredients in most common Greek dishes, and don't miss the section titled, 'What it is and how to say it,' where you'll find names, descriptions, and phonetic pronunciation of a list of common restaurant items. You can even print this out as 'crib notes' for your trip! Not only will you find names of foods you'll enjoy, but names of things you may want to avoid!

Enjoy your trip -- I think you'll have no trouble finding lots you can eat!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

One of the great pleasures of Greece is dining. There is so much good food and for the most part meat is not the feature item. There are lots of vegetable dished with cheese and a Greek Salad has a whopping hunk of feta so protein is easy to get.

There are lots of eggplant dishes, stuffed olive leaves (with rice) stuffed tomatoes and peppers also with rice.

Be sure to try spinach and cheese pies for snacks.

Also not to be missed is a gyros pita. There is some meat in that but as a fast food snack it is unbeatable.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

You won't starve. The food in Greece is incredible- there will be plenty to choose from. They do have beef, but if you're looking for a steak prepared like they do in the States you probably won't find one. Otherwise you should be happy with the food.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

You might be able to find a steak pretty similar to what you'd get in the USA... I was surprised on my last visit this past May, my Greek relatives ordered steak on several occasions. I did not try it (I wanted traditional GREEK food!), but it looked good, and they raved...

I also mentioned on another topic that we ate at the Applebee's in Glyfada (Not my choice, one of the sisters-in-law is a hostess there!), and the menu was the same as in the USA... I thought the food was pretty much the same, although I do not frequent the place here at home either. If you want some typical American food, it's not hard to find!

Have a great trip!

Beltway Madness...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

You will never starve. I went to Greece with a friend of mine (a vegetarian) and he ate fantastic food throughout the trip. You eat chicken? excellent. Baked chicken, kotopoulo souvlaki, great stuff. Beef? Go to Thanassis in Monastiraki in Athens and get a beef souvlaki. You will forget what food was like in the US. Anytime you want....get some wine and bread and a xoriatiki salata...a village salad. Beans? You like fasolakia...try it. Want beef? Try kokkinisto...a pot roast...awesome! It is hard to find this combination of flavors in the US. If you starve in Greece, you will be the first! Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

>They do have beef, but if you're looking for a steak prepared like they do in the States you probably won't find one<

yes you WILL ,try any Friday's or Aplebee's....also there are quite a few tavernas that serve american style steak (Papoutsis in Vrilisia and Argentina in Marathon are the best).

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

What about chicken?

If you do eat chicken, you don't have to "pass" on the guros stands, since most prepare chicken - gyros too.

Take for example a vegetarian who anyway does not any meat, nor beef as you do.

Even if you were vegetarian, then you really didn't have to stress too.

Most tavernas have many vegetable-only plates. If you don't eat meat at all or eat selected kinds of meat, you 'll have to ask if or what meat IS included, since some plates do include meat sometimes, even if not visible.

One example is a popular Greek plate, "ghemista" = stuffed tomatoes. These are stuffed with rice tomatoes, prepared in the oven then. Delicious. Some places though put rice with some minced meat in, so you have to ask.

You really don't have to stress if your daily diet includes vegetables only or pasta / rice ( all in all, no meat ). Greek cuisine includes a zillion of plates with vegetables, salads, some pasta, rice and yes beef.

By the way, i heve never eaten goat, i dislike lamb ( although i eat a bot of it in Easter ), i am not keen on seafood except tuna and sardines ( i hold my nose to eat them ). I live in Greece practically all my life and i am not starving :) You really have plenty of choices in Greek restaurant already, not to mention that most places have foreign-cuisine restaurants, like Italian and more.

Goat. . .eew! :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

Just to clarify something... "The meat on that giant vertical rotisserie... " is always 100% pork unless otherwise stated. This is the main ingredient of the regular 'gyros with pita'. Most souvlaki places also have chicken gyros ( usually thats the not so giant vertical rotisserie next to it).

And as many other stated, the vast majority of greeks only eat lamb or goat once a year, on easter sunday.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I may starve in Greece. Need your advise

Oh.. and one more thing. If you really want to avoid eating anything Greek at all you can easily do that, since many american 'restaurant' chains have branches in Greece and especially Athens. For example you can easily find places such as pizza hut, applebees, TGI fridays, Hard rock cafe and ofcourse good 'ol Mickey D's...