We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acropolis Museum

London, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Acropolis Museum

Reading about a self guided walk and wonder if I have my bearings correct since the guide is outdated it doesn't include the new museum.

the walk starts at Monastiraki station along what they call the pedestrian promenade passing Temple of Hephaestus, Church of Agia Marina and ending near the Temple of Olympian Zeus. The new museum will be just before the end of this walk correct?

I have read many posts & reviews that say the tour buses & crowds show up at the Acropolis around 10 or 11 but is there a quiet time at the museum, I don't want to buy a ticket beforehand because unsure of exact schedule for the day but looking around late afternoon between 4 - 6.

How far of a walk is it from Syntagma Square to Monastiraki station & from Hadrians Arch back to Syntagma.

Thanks for your replies.

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Private Greece Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Free Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Limo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Acropolis Museum

I agree,

but as as the weather may be cooling down,, you can start from below, either Monasteraki or Thissio entrances and walk up..seeing the Parthenon, and then finishing with the Acropolis museum.

Ideologically seeing the Acropolis museum first, one may envisage how it was in the Golden Age, and then see it "live" in the present day.

Or, the reverse.

The reverse may be more rewarding on this level of perception.

Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Acropolis Museum

Thanks for the very useful info. We'll be in Athens in December, so we won't be too concerned about timing our visit to avoid the the heat. Coming from Toronto (which will be frozen by then), we'll definitely enjoy the weather very much! IMHO, it would be a mindblowing experience to visit the Acropolis museum on the afternoon of Day 1 and come back another morning to see the Acropolis itself. However, that is a time-consuming schedule and I'm not sure if we can afford the time.

If we go up to the Acropolis early in the morning before the sun has warmed things up, will the paths be slippery?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Acropolis Museum

Hi Gigismum, if you mean dew, no I don't think so.

Athens' climate is rather dry as opposed to humid {except for the last few days, unexpectantly tropical..} but the steps may be slippery because of rain. The stone steps are rather uneven and slippery, I've tumbled myself on them, and I always would warn clients to be weary of all the steps on the archaeological sites, being either of stone or marble, they are mostly of a smooth shiny surface due to "wear and tear" Falls are common on the sites, so non slippery soles are a must,

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Acropolis Museum

Thank you, thank you Nick, for your chronology and "rationale" re the Marbles ... instead of imposing my wordier explanation on my travel companions, I'll just memorize yours.

Why don't you and Diana co-conduct a TA Seminar on Athens ... politics, architecture, history, ancient and modern scandals?? We'll all enroll and sit at your feet. Or at least buy u lunch!

25. Re: Acropolis Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 06:22