We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hellenic Seaways??

los angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hellenic Seaways??

Hello,

We are looking to use Hellenic Seaways to get from Athens to Santorini in June. They said that the ferry sched. will not be posted until April. Does anyone know if this is a reputable company to use for the fast ferries? I have heard that some of ferry companies cancel the ferry right before and are very dirty. Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,718 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

Hellenic is a reputable and reliable ferry company. I've always found their ships to be very clean. Don't be concerned by the fact the June schedule won't be posted until April; that's typical for Greek ferry schedules.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

Hellenic seaways has a very modern fleet that is spotlessly clean.If they weren't such crooks with the insane prices they demand they would be perfect.....

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

We took Hellenic Seaways and were very pleased. However, book online in advance and if you don't like flying coach/economy on a plane, you better buy business class online. The whole ship is very nice, but the economy seats are even tighter than coach seats -- which gets even tighter when the person next to you is vomiting for 2 hours. Sometimes the afternoon/ later ships can be over an hour behind schedule -- not their fault. Other ships using the same port are late. Try to travel light as the full trips run out of room for luggage stowage. Take sea sickness pills one hour before boarding if you get the slightest bit woosy. A lot of left to right rocking even in great weather. We tried to upgrade from economy to business class after the boat had departed (just like we were told to do at the window) and nobody spoke English so we had a hard time with that. Eventually it worked out.

Barranquilla
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

On August the 31st I was expecting to take the “Flyingcat 3” from Thira (santorini) to Mykonos. To my surprise when I arrived to the port at 11:15, the rude girl behind the counter told us that the boat was broken somewhere else and she didn’t know when it was going to depart. We had to wait with no information for 10 hours! Until finally HSW took us by plane to our destination on a very late night flight (we were supossed to be in Mykonos at 14:40 but we got there at 23:00).

I’m amazed on the lack of consideration and respect of Hellenic Seaways. I used this service by recommendation of a friend, but I’ll never recommend or use it again. It took a lot of money, time and effort to go from Colombia to Greece, and we spend a whole day of our vacations stranded on a port with representatives from HSW that didn’t care about this situation. No alternatives, no information, no response, nothing! I work for an airline, I suppose our business is not that different and I'm very dissapointed of HSW because I have never seen such an inappropriate handling of this kind of inconvenience as I did that day.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

Consider yourself lucky that they didn't throw you to the sharks when you complained! :)

And a FREE plane ride to Myconos?!This is FANTASTIC service for them (and ALL Greek companies that monopolize the Aegean w/their insanely priced vessels...) :):)

Last week 300 people on another boat spent almost 30 hours getting from AMORGOS to Pireaus so again consider yourself lucky...:)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
69 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

Hellenic Seaways is one of the most reputable shipping companies in Southern Europe, with the best vessels. The reason for not posting schedules until April, is that the Greek government and the Ministry of Shipping is responsible for doing this so this is not their fault.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

hi travelfromla,

it's not really as if you have a large variety to choose from. The other company servicing this route in the form of a "fast ferry " service is www.seajets.gr, which has much smaller vessels {the superjet servicing this route has capacity of less than 400 whilst highspeed 5 has over 800}...being a smaller vessel it is more subject to wind factors {and delays/canx}, and on the other hand, the highspeed 5 is part of a newer fleet than the seajets.

The other alternative is the bluestar timetable, - BUT a conventional ferry which has swift timetables, a good fleet, less subject to wind factors, and competitive rates.

8. Re: Hellenic Seaways??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 06:20