We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions please? Open to suggestions

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
200 reviews
Opinions please? Open to suggestions

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip to Europe this August/September and I am after some help. Its my husband & I celebrating 20years of marriage and my 40th. For the past 7 months I have been having chemo for breast cancer and this is what I have been focusing on to get me through the surgeries & treatment. I still have 2 surgeries to go and with the recovery time I may not have as much time to totally research our trip like I like to. I like to be organised :)

I dont really know where to start! We have about 10-12 days including Athens. We like relaxing (but not all day long), Site seeing, beach activities, exploring, boat trips, local culture, we love eating out but not fine dining, more middle of the range restaurants and bars.

I was roughly thinking 4 nights Athens, 3 nights Mykonos, 2 nights Naxo's, 3 nights Santorini.

From here we will head to Italy. I would love your opinions on times in each place. I have also been reading that Mykonos is a party place. We do like to head out at night for drinks but not party all night long like when we were 20. Is it still worth a visit for us or do you think our time would be better spent on another island?

Thanks very much xx

4 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Opinions please? Open to suggestions

<<I have also been reading that Mykonos is a party place.>>

I hope you realize that the Mykonos authorities will not tie a special events admission wristband to your arm upon your arrival, and require you to party all night long while on the island. ;)

Seriously, Mykonos is a huge party destination, especially in August (peak travel season and peak party season), but it's easy to avoid parties and you definitely do not have to participate. Mykonos does have much of what you're seeking, especially dining (more than 400 restaurants), boat trips and beach activities.

The two big downsides to Mykonos are (1) it's one of the most expensive places to visit in Greece, especially in August, and (2) the island will be absolutely heaving with people in August, so it's not really the best time to go for relaxing, sightseeing and exploring because you will have to contend with crowds and busy traffic.

2 nights isn't enough for Naxos, so I would suggest adding more time there -- perhaps by dropping Mykonos from your itinerary altogether. Naxos does have everything you are looking for, it won't be as crowded or expensive, and you would find it far more relaxing.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,826 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Opinions please? Open to suggestions

Just note that staying anywhere for 2 nights will only equal one full day.

When island hopping also note that even if distances between islands don't look far every time you get up and move the best part of one day will be lost from your itinerary (you shall pack\unpack, check out and in of hotels, transport to and from ports, some waiting time in ports, time for embarking\disembarking and the actual time used for the journey).

You will also have to adjust to the ferry schedules departure time. Often there is only one or two ferries daily between the destinations – even in main season.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
185 reviews
3. Re: Opinions please? Open to suggestions

Best wishes on completing your treatments and becoming cancer free!

I normally plan our trips myself, but for Greece I made a tentative plan and then have worked with Fantasy Travel. It has gone very smoothly and might be just what you need.

I do think you are going too many places in Greece. Skip Mykonos and add those days elsewhere so you have less moving around.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
433 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Opinions please? Open to suggestions

Maybe skip Mykonos altogether, and reallocate that time between Santorini and Naxos? You could do 4+4, or even 3-Santorini and 5-Naxos. Will you be saving Athens fro the end? That is the usual recommendation, in case there are weather delays getting off the islands.

Reply to: Opinions please? Open to suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted