We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Wine Lodge to visit?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Which Wine Lodge to visit?

Need recommendations of which Wine Lodges to visit while I’m in Porto? As authentic as can be, not a fan of tourist traps tours. Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: Which Wine Lodge to visit?

Do you mean port cellars? The port cellars all seem to be in Gaia which is across the river from the old town of Porto, just a short walk across the Dom Luis bridge. We visited the Calem cellars which of course were visited by tourists when we were there but I wouldn't say they were tourist traps. It was a very imformative tour and the tasting at the end was delicious.

J M
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
339 posts
2. Re: Which Wine Lodge to visit?

I would recommend Graham's. Carefully restored and one of the most beautiful and less crowded.

I wouldn't call them tourist traps. Most of the big brands have interesting tours and you will see tuns and barrels with real wine, in the same cellars wine has been aged for more than two centuries. Some of the cellars are really crowded in the summer and the tours are a bit rushed, specially the ones closer to the river. The ones uphill are less crowded.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Which Wine Lodge to visit?

Which tour package did u get? Ty

London, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Which Wine Lodge to visit?

You arrive at the cellar door pay your €15 (approx) fee, no need to buy a package. We went to Taylor’s and had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: Which Wine Lodge to visit?

there are several port wine cellars on the other side of the river from porto and if you don't mind spending a bit more to do your tasting in the impressive vintage room at grahams i'd be very surprised if you walked away thinking this was a tourist trap and not authentic and while i just turned up last christmas their web page is only taking bookings in advance now.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Which Wine Lodge to visit?

Thank you!

Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Which Wine Lodge to visit?

The first question to ask yourself is if you want to tie yourself to a specific reservation time (which many require) or go whenever you can (only some offer walk-ins) during their opening times.

We chose the later, we went to Taylor’s... it’s a self guided tour with audio guide, very informative if you take your time and go through the various exhibits. There is lots of info there at least an hour, or more if you want to take your time and really learn about the Port wine making.

They serve you a few of their Ports at the end when you enter their tasting area at your own little table, and you can order others as well and buy their products to take home.

In believe they also offer more in depth personalized tours.

https:/…port-cellars

Reply to: Which Wine Lodge to visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porto