We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days in portugal

Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
11 days in portugal

We are honeymooning to the beautiful country of Portugal for 10 nights and 11 days. The preliminary plan is to fly to Lisbon from USA, then travel directly north to Porto. What is the most efficient and cost effective way to travel to Porto from Lisbon? Would it be worth staying in Porto for 2 nights and 2 nights in Douro valley or 3 nights in Porto with a day trip to the valley? Then we want to go south and expore the magic mountains for a night or two. Then all the way down to Lagos for 2-3 nights and Lisbon for 2-3 nights. We love more local experineces versus the touristy attractions (we do love castles.) Are we leaving anything out? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

J

7 replies to this topic
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days in portugal

Hi!

When are you doing this trip?

From Lisbon to Porto: Train, definetely.

Porto and Douro Valley: will leave the answer to others. It will also depends on the time of the year you're coming.

Magic mountains? Do you mean Serra da Estrela?

Lagos: again it depends on the time of the year.

Castles: they are averywhere. My favourite (it is a really small castle, very cozy!) is Almourol, in an island at a river.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days in portugal

Two years ago I spent three weeks in Portugal. We flew in to Lisbon but headed straight to Evora, then went to the south then headed along the coast stopping at towns for 2 nights as we made our way up to the north. We went everywhere by train.

Everywhere we stayed was wonderful, interesting and different to the last place. We went all the way to Guimaraes and stayed there for 2 nights also. We then flew back to Lisbon for 5 days. We missed Porto but at the time we just couldn't do everything. So I am actually headed back there again in August and staying 5 nights. I prefer to stay in one place and see that place well than do a whirlwind tour and see nothing much.

In Lisbon you MUST go to Sintra. We went for a full day tour and I wish we had stayed there. If you love castles you will really enjoy this place. There are several all in the one place but you need either a car, or a driver to see them all. We didn't get to Cascais but you should try to.

I am happy to tell you about the places we went and where we stayed if you want to PM me. We had some fantastic accommodation.

You will love it.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days in portugal

I would chose the 3 days in porto with a day trip to the valley

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days in portugal

We’re also going to Portugal for our honeymoon in November!

We so far have decided on Lisbon and Sintra. It was a toss up between Lisbon and porto... maybe we will do three. We’re only there for 8 full days.

I wanted to reply and tell you, if you love castles, you must go to Sintra! It’s only 30 minutes from Lisbon and I have never been so excited for a city before! SO many beautiful and unique castles, it looks like a fairy tale!

Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days in portugal

Thanks for the input. We decided on 3 nights in Porto, one day trip to the valley. Head south to Lagos for 3 nights, a day trip to Benagil Caves/Faro. Then Lisbon 4 nights. Definitely a day trip to Sintra and maybe cascais. Cannot wait!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 days in portugal

what month will you be there?

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 days in portugal

You do realise that this is pretty much the antithesis of "We love more local experineces versus the touristy attraction"

Reply to: 11 days in portugal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted