We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Douro Valley train trip

north coast nsw
Level Contributor
271 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Douro Valley train trip

I am both excited and daunted by this trip i hope to do in May.

So the advice I've been given is to go all the way to Pocinho. Get off wait for return trip, perhaps stop in Pinhao then catch next trip back to Porto. So 6 plus hours on the train. Is there an alternative?

I know you can do a short boat ride at Pinhao rather than heading all the way to Pocinho but would you still see the prettiest parts of the river that way. Is it prettiest from boat or train?

I'm guessing there is no other public transport from these riverside towns to link up with other towns on the way back to Porto. Also is it worth a stroll and lunch around Pinhao. it seems that there is a bit of a wait until the next train comes through to Porto? I intend to get the train leaving at 7.15 from Campanha. Thanks all

5 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,902 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Douro Valley train trip

"So 6 plus hours on the train. Is there an alternative?"

No. There is no public bus service along that part of the river, not even any roads for much of it, one reason why the railway remains open! Pinhão is, I am told, an OK place to stop. You will need separate tickets for each train but the overall cost is the same

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Douro Valley train trip

Go on a day tour. Price includes transport, visit to two wineries, restaurant meal and a one hour boat trip. Trip lasts all day. Pick up and drop off in evening. No hassle just relax have a few glasses of wine and enjoy the scenery.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Douro Valley train trip

Can you suggest a good day long trip with boat and lunch? Would prefer to keep under the 100 euro per person since with the Canadian exchange rate to euro of $1.65 the cost gets quite high.

Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Douro Valley train trip

What made day train trip to Pinhao worthwhile for me was combination of nice scenery (mostly man-made landscape by now) and interest in viticulture and wine making. I had very limited amount of time, but I am coming back to Portugal in the future for a longer stay. The trip gave me 4 hours in Pinhao which I split between walking up and down the hill to see the vineyards and a short visit to a quinta, plus a short walk through town on the way to the station. I will take the boat ride next time for a different view of the valley. Frankly, if it was just the train ride I would probably not do it. So you need at least a bit of time there to look around. Do not get me wrong, the views from the train are really nice (part of the ride) - I heard even better further upstream on the way to Pocinho, but it is an extra hour on the train each way and I did not have so much time.

Edited: 26 March 2018, 15:25
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Douro Valley train trip

Take a look at cooltouroporto.com the tour to the Douro valley costs €90 includes transport, lunch, winerie visits and a one hour boat cruise. It's worth the money.

Reply to: Douro Valley train trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted