We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Churches of Porto

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best Churches of Porto

Hello all! My boyfriend and I are planning an upcoming trip to Portugal and after a cathedral-packed trip to Spain last year, it's been requested that I tone it down on the churches in our itinerary. I'm interested in seeing Clerigos Church (& tower), Porto Cathedral, and Sao Francisco Church, but I think all three might just send him over the edge.

Which 1-2 would you recommend prioritizing?

5 replies to this topic
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Churches of Porto

Hi I've been to Porto six times soon a seventh In May. There are many churches in Porto. I think your boyfriend might be tipped over the edge lol. I'm not religious at all but I've visited a lot of the churches here. Anyway if I could only visit three I would pick porto cathedral, Igreja de São Martinho de Cedofeita the oldest church in Porto and my personal favourite and underrated I feel Igreja da misericordia which literally took my breath away when I went to Sunday service a year or so ago. Take a look at these on Google and tripadvisor. I believe I've done a review of Igreja da misericordia.

Edited: 26 March 2018, 11:13
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
152 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Churches of Porto

Hi Mary,

IMO the most beautiful and interesting is Igreja de S. Francisco, not only because of the church itself (Church of Gold) but also because of the visit to the catacombs.

If you are an expert in Spanish cathedrals you will notice that our churches, cathedrals included are much smaller. The visit to Porto Cathedral is nice, not only because of the monument but also because of the river views and the the old and narrow streets around. You will also be a few meters away from the upper deck of D. Luis I bridge, which you can cross by foot to the city of Gaia. Wonderful views of Porto from the bridge and from Serra do Pilar.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
489 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Churches of Porto

Take a look also at igreja santa clara. You also have capela das almas and igreja de santo ildefonso for tile work.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Churches of Porto

There are churches everywhere in Porto Mary I've never seen so many in one city. I agree Sao Francisco is also beautiful. Spend a couple of hours just looking at the churches most are quite close together apart from Sao martinho which is a bit harder to find but its worth finding as its so different to the other churches and so small.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
383 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Churches of Porto

The most beautiful churches in Porto are S. Francisco ( for sure different from everything you have seen ) and Santa Clara, Sé Catedral deserves a visit. S. Martinho de Cedofeita is a very small and simple Church constructed in 1087 by the visigoths king.

if you like churches there many and wonderful ones in Porto.

Edited: 26 March 2018, 17:53
Reply to: Best Churches of Porto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted