We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Hi,

Is it worth it to drive from Lisbon up coast stop in Sintra, Cioamo on route to Porto?

Any suggestions of other coastal towns to visit?

Thanks,

Barbara

11 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,690 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Are you asking if there's a road by the coast from Lisbon to Porto? If so, the answer is no, there's not.

If you want to visit the coast of Sintra, then a car is the only option.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Yes it’s possible, and is the best for you do , rent the car with Interrent , they have car starting per 1,39€ a day , tolls is portugal is very expensive try the N roads or IC roads in those you don’t pay , ericeira is very beautiful and in Sintra pena Palace , stop also in Óbidos ( medieval City ) and if you have chance go to Luso , the best water from Portugal come there and you can have it for free !!!

3. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline requiring that all messages be written in English. It is not possible for the forum staff to provide translations. Foreign language comments exclude many readers from obtaining what may be pertinent information, which defeats the purpose of an open forum.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2018, 16:07

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
4. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Which is best driving route from Lisbon to Porto if I want to visit coastal towns?

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
5. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Thank-you

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
6. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Thank-you

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

N247,N114,N109,N242!!

If you need more infos about portugal you can check me in insta or face “ O Roceiro Viajante “!!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

I am no destination expert but here's my 2 cents worth. Sintra is an easy day trip from Lisbon, so is Obidos. It's super economical to go by train to Sintra and bus to Obidos. The train from Lisbon to Porto is only 11E (one way) and there are plenty of easy and economical day trips from Porto. I have done a driving vacation in Portugal and i really loved it but just pointing out that it is easy to see plenty of small towns and villages without renting a car. It's been a while since i was there but from everything I have read parking can be an issue and tolls are very expensive. We're going to be in Portugal soon and we are doing day trips from Lisbon to Setubal, Tomar, Sintra, and Obidos and taking the train from Lisbon to Porto, all for far, far less than a car rental. Also, if you haven't yet booked your flight you might consider inbound to Lisbon and outbound from Porto. We did that and it saved us having to backtrack and also actually cost less $. Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a great time. This is my 4th trip to Portugal and I love it more each time! ?Also, be very careful of car rental deals that appear too good to be true. There are plenty of tales of woe of renters who were blind sided by excessive mileage charges, outrageous insurance fees, and other hidden costs. Make sure your rental price is "all in" - don't get caught by surprise costs!

Edited: 27 March 2018, 22:04
Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
168 reviews
9. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

It is doable to drive from Lisbon Airport to Sintra but there are few roads along the coast to take advantage of on your way to Porto We spent three nights in Sintra and definitely driving in Sintra is not for the faint of heart. You definitely need to find a hotel that offers parking and frankly, our car sat in the parking lot two out of the three days we were there.

We have driven from Lisbon to Porto but I had more than a few historic locations that I wanted to stop at. The drive itself is not very interesting. On our April/May trip, we are taking the train to Porto since it is much cheaper and actually a tad shorter in time using the fast train. Between tolls, gas and car rental fees, it will be more expensive to drive IF you don't have a special place or two to spend an evening or more.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
10. Re: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto

Thank-you for the information

Reply to: Renting a car from Lisbon airport driving to Porto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porto