We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toboggan trip advise please

lancashire
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
toboggan trip advise please

we arrive on 31st may on cruise ship, we want to do the toboggan trip but dont want to book via the cruise, a couple of questions, where do we go to do this, roughly what is the cost, how long does it take to get to the place, is it by road or cable car, many thanks

39 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toboggan trip advise please

Hi

We did this 2 days ago and loved it. You get there via the cable car, once you depart the cable car follow the signs to the toboggan run. It takes around 1/2 an hour to get there.It costs 15 euros per person . Enjoy

Richard

England
Level Contributor
833 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toboggan trip advise please

Plus the cost of the cable car, plus the tip to the toboggon guys, plus the purchase of a photo, plus the taxi ride (at a rip-off rate) back to the harbour........

Enjoy!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toboggan trip advise please

For everything that H0 mentions it will come to about €120 for 2. Couple of good nights out for the misses & myself

Rob

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: toboggan trip advise please

Have to agree with Holidaymaker and Rob Morton. Been to Madeira about 25 times in 10 years. Have never wasted our money on this activity and never will - better things to spend it on.

However, recognise that it is a popular thing for tourists to do.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toboggan trip advise please

I did the toboggan ride on my first visit - and did enjoy. Have never repeated it since.

You were, at that time, taken all the way back to Funchal so there was no question about having to get a taxi.

Not something I would consider doing again .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toboggan trip advise please

Agree with the others - very expensive and no longer the memorable experience that I had with my grandparents back in 1982. One of a number of cringeworthy elements of the recent Travel Man episode on Channel 4. Avoid - could dine at a Michelin starred restaurant or buy a few day trips for the same price.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toboggan trip advise please

Jamieboy....What year roughly would that have been when you did the ride that went all the way down to Funchal.Anybody any idea when they stop going all the way down.

Rob

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toboggan trip advise please

In answer to the original question -

The toboggan run starts at Monte, a small town above Funchal which is worth a visit in itself for the amazing views over the bay, the beautiful church, as well as the Tropical Gardens and municipal gardens, and the lovely old hotels. You can read reviews of the toboggan ride here - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

You can get to Monte via cable car, public bus (www.horariosdofunchal.pt) or taxi. The cable car station is at the eastern end of the seafront near the yellow fort, abbout 20-30 minutes walk from the cruise ship depending on where you dock. On cruise ship days the queues can look quite daunting but people seem to get through quite quickly. The buses go from a small square ('Pinga' named after the famous footballer) very near the cable car station, and there are taxis everywhere. Agree a price before you get in.

The toboggan ride ends at Livramento from where you can either walk down to Funchal or get a taxi - again, agree a price before you get in. There is a bus service but it is fairly infrequent.

Despite some of the negative comments about the toboggan ride - some from people who have never done it - it is great fun and I would recommend it to anyone - it is surely one of the iconic images of Madeira and in my opinion a 'must-do' when visiting the island.

Hope that helps, I hope you enjoy your visit to Funchal and that it won't be your last.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: toboggan trip advise please

Rob - It was 1977 when I first visited.

I'm not certain when they stopped taking you all the way back to Funchal - If I were to hazard a guess, I would say late nineties .

10. Re: toboggan trip advise please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 May 2018, 17:35
Edited: 27 May 2018, 17:35

Reply to: toboggan trip advise please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted