We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funchal temperatures in July?

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Funchal temperatures in July?

How hot does it get in Funchal in the first half of July, and is it easy finding somewhere to stay witih airconditioning/fans?

Is it also very crowded and touristy at that time?

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
19 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,222 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

To answer your first question, this information is easily found on the internet eg

www.holiday-weather.com/funchal/averages/

Funchal is well known to be very windy at times.

I have never been there, so cannot answer the second.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

You can expect temperatures of around 24/25C but you never know with Madeira. We once went in June and expected temps just below those figures but one day they reached over 30C. It also depends on which part of Madeira as weather can vary from place to place.

Most decent hotels will have aircon.

As to being crowded or touristy, it depends on how you define those terms. It's certainly not like Benidorm or Ibitha and I've never seen Madeira as being "crowded", but it can be busy at any time of the year, which is not a bad thing.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

Thanks. I realize that it's on the Internet, but then was told by someone that temperatures don't go above 30C, which made me wonder whether the highest temperature of 25C on such sites is reliable. One of us cannot stand high temperatures.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,735 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

No one can say with confidence that temps will not reach 30+, even in July. Last year from mid June, the sun was daily, wall to wall, for several months, temps went to mid 30's at times. There is no garauntee that this year will be the same. Madeira rarely has the same weather monthly, year on year. Being a volcanic microclimatic Island, weather is unpredictable beyond a couple of days, and oftens even that timespan is unreliable. Averages are basically adding up a group of figures and dividing, it, averages are averages, nothing set in rock.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

Thanks to everyone who wrote back. We shall have to rethink our plans. Are temperatures in April usually lower, i.e. no higher than 25 degrees C?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

We found the weather to be perfect. Mid 20s and wall to wall sunshine. Not too humid - perfect!

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

Re post 5, you can expect temperatures around 19-21C in April. Usual caveat on averages. For example, average for January is around 19C but on our visit a couple of weeks back it reached 21C for the first two days and then slumped dramatically to below average.

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

As long as it doesn't usually go much above 25 in April, I think we'd be all right. Thank you.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

I think you will be fine in April .We have had temperatures in the 30 's in September ,far too hot for us , but early May was much more bearable .I think April will be similar .

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Funchal temperatures in July?

Thank you.

Reply to: Funchal temperatures in July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted