We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Savoy Palace

Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
New Savoy Palace

The new Savoy hotel looks like a monster. Surely can't be allowed to get any bigger

madeiraislanddirect.com/blog/…

325 replies to this topic
New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
956 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: New Savoy Palace

Dominic: there is an existing and recent thread on this subject. Scroll down to "The new Savoy photograph", last posting to which was 23 March.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: New Savoy Palace

Looks awful - and the building will have grown further looking at the quite old dates of the photos on either post.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: New Savoy Palace

How can you say it looks awful.It's nowhere near complete yet!! Wait till it's finished & you may change your mind.Don't forget for the last 4 years there has just been a big hole in the ground screened off by corrugated sheeting on the main avenue.Did you want it to stay like that forever? Investment brings jobs & much needed money to the Maderian economy.My wife & myself look forward to staying there when completed.

Rob

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: New Savoy Palace

It is certainly more 'spread out' than the old hotel.

To say it looks awful is a bit premature.

Rob, I agree it has to be better than the hole in the ground and the corrugated sheeting.

I too hope to visit when it opens and shall judge then as to whether or not it is 'awful'. If it is half as good as the old Classic Savoy, I'll be more than happy.

I just wish that 'Madeira Palacio' could also be rebuilt - but don't see that happening.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,968 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: New Savoy Palace

IMHO, no building looks attractive whilst being built - so it's a bit silly to say it looks 'awful'..

Sure, it's looking pretty big - but bear in mind there were two hotels occupying that site originally, so it's bound to be looking rather imposing. And the comment on one of the photographs that it swamps the Porto Santo ferry made me smile, when you consider the photo was taken from behind the build and the ferry boat is way down at the dock, in the distance...

Bridge of Weir
Level Contributor
410 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: New Savoy Palace

" Awful" is in the eye of the beholder. However scale is in relation to the surroundings and this building appears to dwarf others around.

Madeira is in danger of allowing hoteliers greed to destroy the ambience the current visitors enjoy.

Many years ago the island of Bali decided, that in order to preserve that which visitors came for, hotels were limited to the height of the palm trees around.

Maybe Madeira has to look to a similar policy. Then again, the reality is, money talks!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: New Savoy Palace

When I used the description "awful" I was simply referring to the size of the development, which seems to occupy every available inch of the site, apart from the most southerly aspect. Does anybody know how many rooms there will be?

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
100 reviews
8. Re: New Savoy Palace

I believe there will be 500 rooms.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: New Savoy Palace

500 rooms !!! I thought the Vila Porto Mare Resort was big with a total of 443 rooms (198 + 146 + 99 ) but each of the three hotels have a separate reception .

10. Re: New Savoy Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2018, 23:15

Reply to: New Savoy Palace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Funchal
Recent Conversations