We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira for one week in September - accommodation question

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Madeira for one week in September - accommodation question

Should my husband and I stay in a couple of different places or just stay in one if we are visiting for a week? I’ve never been before so I’m not sure about what is most feasible in order to see the island in the best way possible. Also, should we rent a car or is bus service good? Thanks..

4 replies to this topic
New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
954 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Madeira for one week in September - accommodation question

You'll no doubt gets lots of opinions from regulars on this site. My view is that for a first time visit you should stay in Funchal, either in or near the city centre or further west in the Lido hotel zone of Funchal. There are hotels to suit all pockets.

If you are a confident driver then OK hire a car. Out of the city centre Madeira is hilly with very winding roads and cliff-edge views - not my cup of tea. But if you do hire a car be careful who you hire from. See the Car Hire link in Top Questions above right.

Bus services are excellent and relatively cheap. And there are several very good minibus tour companies that offer a range of tours (eg, half or full day) to all parts of the island. Also taxis in and around Funchal are fairly cheap. Most taxi drivers also offer half or full day set tours or you can choose where you want to goo.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Madeira for one week in September - accommodation question

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Do you think a week is a good length of time?

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
954 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Madeira for one week in September - accommodation question

Not really for a full Madeira experience. Even having been to Madeira about 25 times in the last 10 years we still prefer to stay for 10-11 days. However, a week will give you enough time for a taster - and then you'll be back for more!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Madeira for one week in September - accommodation question

Thanks again...

Reply to: Madeira for one week in September - accommodation question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madeira