We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

Greater London...
2 posts
Save Topic
Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

I have read other discussions similar to this, but I haven't found a recent post regarding the train travel from Lisbon airport to Sintra, specifically, later at night. Maybe someone has traveled recently and could give me their opinion?

I'm arriving at Lisbon airport at 9.45pm and want to go to Sintra the same evening, I will only have carry on luggage so shouldn't be too long getting through customs/immigration. I've seen mixed reviews about safety at night, and I will be traveling alone. My accommodation said to get a transfer for €40 or stay the night in Lisbon, but other comments have said it's not much different from traveling on NYC subway at night, which I've done fairly frequently/feel relatively safe doing.

One article said if traveling at night just sit with other passengers - are there likely to be many people traveling at that time on a weekday?

When I arrive at Sintra train station, should it be fairly easy to flag down a taxi or order Uber to accommodation (a 10m drive from the station)?

I have traveled solo a fair amount, if I arrived during the day I wouldn't think twice about it. Just being night in a country I haven't visited before and not speaking Portuguese. Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,779 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

If you have travelled the New York subway and the London Undergound late at night, the Sintra line should hold no fears! These are busy commuter trains just as you find in any big city.

You will need to take the Lisbon metro to Oriente station, costs €1,95 including the reusable ticket card. Don't throw the ticket card away! Oriente to Sintra will cost €2,25 (load it on the same card) with last train at 0108 every night.

I've never been to Sintra at night but there is a taxi rank at the station.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

If you're used to London you should be fine, just use normal street smarts: be aware of your surroundings, don't leave your bags unattended or easily accessible. Choose a car with more passengers, choose a seat where you can't be "cornered". Pay special attention to groups of young people and to the moments before doors are closed.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

The main problem you might run into is if your flight is delayed and there are delays in getting through Customs. You will need to check the train schedule from Lisbon to Sintra for late evening as well as the metro. Portugal is not a country in which metro and trains operate as they do in London or NYC.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,779 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

Still, the last train to Sintra at 0108 every night is a lot later than on many suburban rail lines out of London!

No issue with the metro, as the late night service runs every 9 minutes and 25 seconds (!) and the last train leaves the airport at 0100 every night, again a lot later than London except on those few lines with 24hr service. (On the downside Lisbon metro doesn't start running until 0630 even on a weekday.)

You wouldn't make the 0108 train to Sintra off the 0100 metro from the airport. It is a good 5 minutes walk from the metro station deep in the bowels of the earth at Oriente up through the levels to the main station, which is about three levels above ground.

So if you are very late your only option is taxi or some kind of private hire transfer which will cost a lot.

Greater London...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

It worked out well, no problems getting there on time or finding where to go. The first half/three quarters of the journey was busy with lots of other travelers and I felt completely safe, last few stops the carriages were a lot emptier - and I felt more wary/kept my wits about me more - but not dis-similar to traveling on other metro's late at night.

Thanks for posting your thoughts :)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,779 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night

And thanks for the feedback. it is nice to know that advice given here is appreciated - and that it it works.

Reply to: Train from Lisbon Airport to Sintra Late at night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sintra
Recent Conversations