We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

SK
Level Contributor
220 posts
33 reviews
Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

I'm a little confused by all there is to see in Sintra and how to get around once we are there. If you have any advice on planning a full day tip there, I would really appreciate some guidance. Also, where can I find the entrance fees, or is there a general entrance fee that covers everything? I like to factor these things into my budget ahead of time so there aren't too many unexpected expenses. Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,148 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

For the sights that all tourists cover, scroll for the several sites, https:/…

Quinta da Regaleira http://www.regaleira.pt/en/visitas

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

I would love to visit Quinta da Regaaleira can I get a bus or taxi there from Sintra as my wife would not be able to walk all the way.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

Good Morning, ptnovo had made a post in May, 2017 that mentions a great option for visiting Sintra. Do a search of the Lisbon Forum for "Sintra Green Card" - there is some great information there.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
113 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

prairiepamplemousse,if you don't already know you'll find you won't be able to see everything sintra has to offer in one day so it might be wise to pick 2 or 3 places that appeal to you the most and see how it goes.

wrappido,as well as taxis outside sintra train station you also have bus number 435 that will take you to quinta da regaleira otherwise it's a 30 minute walk from the train station with a few slightly down and uphill bits but nothing severe,a lot of the footpaths are cobble stoned in sintra so good footwear would get my vote.

SK
Level Contributor
220 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

Thank you for all the help so far.

There are two entrance fees for Pena Palace: one for the palace & park, and one for just the park (I think that includes the exterior terraces of the palace, according to one website I found). Would it be a good idea to skip the interior and just visit the park & terraces so that we have a little more time for seeing other sites? Or is the interior of the palace a "must see"?

I'm interested in seeing the park surrounding Quinta da Regaleira & Pena Palace, the Moorish Castle, and if there is time I'm curious about Monserrate Palace.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,148 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

Wrappido - the new entrance to Regaleira is in a very steep road, with very narrow sidewalks, not a friendly access for those with walking problems. The bus 435 stop is either at the bottom of that steep road, or at the top by Seteais palace, it's impossible for the bus (or a car) to stop at Regaleira's entrance. scotturb.com/images/…Discover-Sintra.pdf

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
113 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra

if it's any help and this is only my personal opinion but i would put visiting pena palace before the palace at monserrate however both gardens are a real treat to walk around but considering how spread out the 4 places you mention are i would give one of them a miss and see how you go for time.

and if it's any help 2 of several ways to do what you have planned are bus 434 or a taxi from outside the station will take you to the castle,bus 434 or a 20 minute walk away from the castle is the pena palace,from the main gates to the pena palace entrance is quite a steep uphill walk however if you don't fancy that walk there's a little green bus that will take you up to the entrance but as i walked it last december i don't know the costs and to get to regaleira a taxi from outside the main gates at pena palace will take you there or bus 434 will drop you off in the center of sintra and it took me 15 minutes to walk and while the last stretch of that walk is slightly uphill i wouldn't class that as steep but that is just my opinion(i am 50 and in good health) but i do agree with some of the footpaths.

Reply to: Itinerary & budget for 1 day in Sintra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sintra
Recent Conversations