We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon car rentals

MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon car rentals

We are renting a car at the airport in Lisbon for 4 days. Sept 10-14 at the airport. i spent an hour on line and on the phone with AVIS and was thoroughly unimpressed with their service.

I would greatly appreciate a recommendation based on actual recent experience.

Also a recommendation regarding what insurance we should opt for .Thanks.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon car rentals

I have used Amoita myself without problems. The only company that I use in Europe that is worldwide is Hertz. When in Europe anywhere, I take the zero excess. It is expensive, but since I just spent several thousands of dollars for a holiday, I don't wish to mess it up, by scrimping on full insurance. It is IMPOSSIBLE to drive anywhere now without some jerk scratching the car, or hitting it while it is in a parking lot. I make it just part of the expense of travelling.

MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon car rentals

Thanks for sharing travels1940. I think we"ll take yor advice

Beverly Hills...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon car rentals

DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ LISBON!

What a bunch of scam artists. They provided us with a beaten-up car covered with marks and scratches and were very lax in noting down all the damages. However, when we brought the car back, the sleazebags charged us for tiny every little mark. They billed card for over $300 for damages that we did not cause. This is clearly a rip-off operation and HERTZ should not be associated with this licensee! Recommend to avoid this Hertz Licensee.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 20:03
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon car rentals

BEWARE!!! I rented a car from Hertz Portugal at Lisbon Airport last October. All fees and charges were paid for the car at that time. However last month I saw an unauthorised charge from Hertz Portugal on my credit card that was made in September 2012! It caused me a lot of hassle as my credit card had to be cancelled and the money queried to get it back. I will never use this company again as it is ridiculous that they can charge your credit card without your permission a year after using them!!

5. Re: Lisbon car rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:19