We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Hello,

We will be in Lisbon for a week early August and I m looking for places to eat. I m a big fan of Nandos' chicken (www.nandos.co.uk) which is supposedly a portoguese restaurant chain, but apparently there are no nandos restaurants in Lisbon (bummer!).

So could you please suggest any other restaurants (in central Lisbon) that will serve this particular type of roast chicken+peri-peri sauce ?

I d prefer casual restaurants, ideally something like nandos.

(Please also give me the exact address and not just the name.)

Obrigado!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Hi,

Nando's is indeed a portuguese chain, but it was started by an a portuguese emigrant who took something which was very simple and very popular in Portugal and turned it into a franchise.

You would never find a Nando's in Portugal, as there are thousands of local restaurants that serve the same chicken - Nando's only exists in places where it is unique.

Having said that, one of the best places to try chicken similar to the one in Nando's has to be Restaurante Bom-Jardim (O Rei dos Frangos), which is a Lisbon institution, and right in the centre, next to Restauradores Square.

The address is:

Travessa de Santo Antão 12, 1150 Santa Justa, Lisboa.

Phone number: (+351) 213 427 424.

Opening hours: ‎12H00 to 23H00, 7 days a week.

Hope this helped.

Paulo

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Hi Evan,

The answer is very simple. There is no Nando's in Portugal because it offers abroad one the most common meals in the country, so no market for them here! You will find your roast chicken everywhere, from small take away counters to fashion restaurants. It is for us more or less what a hamburguer is for an American.

Look in the menus for "Frango assado" or Frango de churrasco" and ask for it with "Piri-Piri" (Portuguese spelling).

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Like the previous posters have stated chicken piri piri it's all over the place (frango assado/no churrasco com piri piri)

In fact asking where you can find it in Lisbon is like asking where you can find fish and chips, chicken shop suey or caril lamb in London.

Btw it's far from being genuine portuguese cuisine, it's just something cheap and easy portuguese people buy to take home after a days work when you don't feel like cooking. After a few days the only problem you'll have will be avoiding eating the dam thing all the time :>

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I ll defenitely visit Bom-Jardim. Looks like the real thing.

Are there any other similar restaurants that you would suggest ?

And speaking of food, those custard mini-pies (which look delicious btw!) are only sold from the old and traditional 'pasteis de belem' shop in Belem, or they are widely available ? If thats so, is it really worthy to look for that particular shop?

Obrigado!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

The "regular" custard tarts are all over Lisbon and are called "pasteis de nata" the "pasteis de Belém" (exquisite custard tarts, the original stuff) are only sold in Belém in:

http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/

They are infinitely better!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

I would agree with Alface that roast chicken is not exactly what you would consider typical Portuguese food. However, it is very well in the way to being so, just as Bacalhau and Tripas did many years ago. The reason is that it is simple and cheap to do. Add that to the fact that it is made in a way that is almost unique (the animal is cut open and put whole on a grid over charcoal) and to history of piri-piri itself (a small pepper taken by the Portuguese from Brasil to its colonies in Africa, grown and made famous there before making its way to Europe) and you have a meal with a potential to becoming traditional.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Having been to Portugal for many years I used to yearn to taste an authentic peri peri chicken, but as somebody pointed out above it's similar to seeking authentic fish and chips in the UK. Recipes are quite diverse, even at Nandos with their various sauces over here.

Who is to say what authentic is, but even if you want to be particular and hope for real peri peri chillies I doubt you'll find it - for peri peri, now read red chillies of varying degrees of heat.

Personally I make my own!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Evan76, hi, speaking of pies here's more info from a previous post: For the potential visiting gourmet tourist: the Pasteis de Belem are indeed hard to beat. But the competition is established and worth a try. Pasteleria Crystal in Lapa recently won a prize for producing the best pastel de nata in Lisboa. The prize was handed by the "Cream Tart Brotherhood". We take our cream tarts seriously... we have a brotherhood and one of the participating kitchen was from a state prison - even the detainees get to have part of the best, and why not. But the ones from Belem didn't participate - why would they with such a reputation to potentially lose. But don't miss them in Belem and be careful to walk in the right business. The second prize winner (Chique) is located around the corner from those pasteis de belem that everyone talks about. Have a look here for the prize info in portuguese. Cheers. http://sabores.sapo.pt/noticias/detalhe/?2805

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Thank you all for your replies!

I cant wait to taste those deliciously looking pasteis...

:-)

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Peri-Peri roast chicken (Nandos style) restaurants in Lisbon

Indeed Portugal's passion for patisserie is renown and frankly they are delicious.

The nearest thing I've witnessed even close to the "Cream Tart Brotherhood" mentioned in the previous post was when my car broke down in Brierly Hill (Midlands UK).

To cut a long story short I walked into the conference centre of a large hotel hosting the regional "Masonic Cream Cake championships". I never even knew such a thing existed.

Well, talk about the passion!

One almighty row erupted over the results and the place went wild. People lofting cream horns without a care for anyone's health, custard creams and flake pastry all over the place. It was total mayhem.