We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caldas da Rainha - are sites easily accessible on foot?

Barrington, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Caldas da Rainha - are sites easily accessible on foot?

Hello, if I took a train to Caldas da Rainha, would it be a long walk to get to the Museum of Ceramics and Factory of Bordalo Pinheiro? If not, are there taxis available at the train station? Thanks for any insights you may have.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caldas da Rainha - are sites easily accessible on foot?

Hi there,

I know Caldas da Rainha and already have been on the museum several times. Very, very nice.

But I never went to the town by train, always went there by car for visit and holidays. Now by seeing my map, the train station is outside the town, it is a very *long* walk from the train station to the museum. Taxis should be readly available, with no problems, I suppose.

Check out the train schedulles at www.cp.pt. By train it sould take about two hours of travel because it's very slow and not frequent and if you are into industrial archeology this is it :-) the trains have more than 50 years and so it's a blast by themselfs... :-)

You can also go by bus, much faster, and it's an hour drive and it will be at the center of town. Now from the bus station to the museum it's not very near, but you will pass by the open market, the queen gardens (where is another museum of Jose Malhoa one of ours great painters) and then the Bordalo Museum. By the way in Lisbon there is a Rafael Bordalo museum also, you want probably to visit also this one. And if you are into ceramics, the Azulejo Museum in Lisbon is also a must.

Check out:

geoman.pt.tripod.com/caldasdarainha/id3.html

Where are you departing from?

For bus timetables check out www.rede-expressos.pt

I hope I helped you :-) !

thx1011