We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental ... Lisbon or Algarve ?

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
282 posts
94 reviews
Car Rental ... Lisbon or Algarve ?

Will be heading to the Algarve from Lisbon in late October for 6 nights. Need to return the last day in order to catch a 15:00 flight from Lisbon airport.

Plan to split time between Lagos area and Faro area. Do folks recommend renting the car in Lisbon for a round trip or taking public transportation to/from the Algarve and renting the car there.

Obrigado ....

4 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,417 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental ... Lisbon or Algarve ?

If you are flying across the ocean to Lisbon and arriving with jet lag, it will be worth considering taking train or bus to the Algarve rather than driving 300km with tiredness on unfamiliar roads.

If you are a solo traveller, a train or bus ticket will cost less than a day's car rental, fuel, tolls and parking. Even for two travelling the cost is barely any different. And you can take an extra 3 hours sleep.

Then rent a car in the Algarve when fully awake the next day. If you can arrange a drop off in Lisbon for less than around €50 extra then do that, if not return to Lisbon by train or bus the morning of your flight.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 09:11
Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
282 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Car Rental ... Lisbon or Algarve ?

@cubsur ... thank you for the response. There will be two of us and we won't be jetlagged, having been in Lisbon for the week prior.

Point Pleasant, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
3. Re: Car Rental ... Lisbon or Algarve ?

I always rent (hire) a car at the airport as I find its the best pricing to pick up and drop off at an airport like Lisbon. Upon arriving in Lisbon, I am pretty "bumped up" and ready to go. I get a to go coffee at the Starbucks at the airport and make the 2.5 hour to Algarve. Like you I have a partner to drive with so we have a conversation going. My time is important so I avoid the trains and buses which are great and reasonable. I have never encountered any traffic in Portugal especially heading from Algarve to Lisbon and back. Again the car always the most flexibility and options. Just my two cents.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
282 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental ... Lisbon or Algarve ?

thanks everyone .... also ... we have plenty of time so if we decide to rent the car in Lisbon, I was considering taking a somewhat coastal route toward Sines instead of staying on the main motorway. Is this worthwhile for views, etc. ?

Reply to: Car Rental ... Lisbon or Algarve ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted