We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Benagil Sea Cave

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Benagil Sea Cave

Hi there,

I keep coming across this amazing picture of the Benagil Sea Cave, and I would love to know how to get there....

We are staying in Lagos, but we also have a rental car to get around. Can we hire a fisherman in Lagos to take us or is it too far? Can we drive somewhere and then walk to the cave or take a boat to it from another town?

Any info would be helpful, thanks

136 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,930 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

Benagil is 21 miles by road from Lagos, probably about 12 or 13 by sea and I doubt you wish to travel that distance in a small open boat even if you could find someone take you.

I am fairly sure there would be boat excursions from Portimão even Lagos but I have no personal knowledge. You can always ask in Lagos where several excursion companies have stalls along the main esplanade by the river.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

I just enjoyed watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Uvzv9jSdg

mentioning Captain Fernando Cabrita.

Some searching on internet took me to info. saying he leaves with his boat from Praia da Marinha (which is near Lagoa). His tel. nr. 961966302 and his e-mail address: Fernando-Cabrita@hotmail.com

Hope this helps.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 12:06
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,930 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

Praia da Marinha is the little beach next one along from Benagil and is accessible by car.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

ok great - thanks for all the feedback.

We are driving from Albufeira to Lagos, so we will be sure to stop at Praia da Marinha!

@FTHW - thanks for the contact details

Lagoa, Portugal
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

I dont know if this is time but anyhow.

When you come from Albufeira to Lagos, by the 125, after porches, you will find trafic lights by the International school. There you must go left. From there, just follow the signs in direction to Benagil. In Benagil beach, you can ask for Ruben. He takes people to see the caves. His mobile is 969617828. I hope this helps you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Thought I would write a little feedback in case anyone else had similar questions....

We ended up just driving to Benagil and hoping we would be able to get to the cave! It couldn't have been easier, just followed the signs to Benagil, then right beside the beach there was a girl selling tours to the caves. We purchased a 30min tour for 12.50 Euros. The boat fit about 8 guests - but everyone else must have purchased a 1 hour tour because the trip was much longer than 30mins. It was a great tour - MUCH better than the cave/grotto tour they offer in Lagos.

The girl we bought the tour from said they had 3 different boats and captians - two of them being Fernando Cabrita and Ruben. Our capitan was Fernando Cabrita and he was so great - I can't believe the caves we fit into (I would be sure to check tide times, I believe these tours are better during low tide)

We were mainly interested in the big cave that you see in all the pictures, and it is literally just left of the beach (east). You could easily swim there from the beach...we didn't realize it was right there until we were on the tour

If we were to go back, we would like rent kayaks. There are so many caves with beaches to explore....but we wouldn't have known this if it weren't for the boat trip first!!

Highly recommended! Bring your camera

UK
Level Contributor
990 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

Great report thank you

Can you rent kayaks from the beach at Benagil ?

Lagoa, Portugal
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

There is no Kayaks for rent in Benagil. The last time that i have heard about this, the sea authorities didnt gave permission to rent kayaks there.

A few years ago, you could rent kayaks in Praia da Marinha which is not far, but because of the cliffs danger, last year Praia da Marinha was not considered a public beach and the authorities revogued the licences for water sports there.

Anyhow, you will see more when you take a boat trip there.

UK
Level Contributor
990 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

Thank you

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Benagil Sea Cave

Is there a best time to visit these caves? I don't want to get into the cave to find the tide in! lol

Reply to: Benagil Sea Cave
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations