We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
185 reviews
Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

We will be traveling from Lagos to Lisbon t theend of June and wondering what's the best option: Bus, train or car?

I read that buses are probably better than trains. Where can I find info aboput both: timtabls, travel time etc. I guess cost will be somehwat comparible.

Also, Iwill probably have a rental carin Lagos, to explore the Algarves while I am there. Does i ake sense to keep the car one more day and return it in Lisbon? My only concern is how to get the rental company inside Lisbon? I hear it canbe quit a difficult city to navigate

thanks for any information you can provide.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

Hi,

I think is better go by train. Train station is very near Lisbon center and if you go by car could be difficult drive in Lisbon, or find a car parking because you don´t know Lisbon. However there are many information and is only 2 hours by car....

By train is less than 3 hours.

By bus there are organize trips to Lisbon in Lagos travel agencies, could be a good option too because the guide will show you the most inportant places and monuments.

Good holidays!

Leonor

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,336 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

Cost-wise the bus is the least expensive with a one-way fare of around 18 or 19 Euros.

There are frequent buses operated by two different companies www.renex.pt and www.rede-expressos.pt with journey times of around 4hrs 30 minutes.

You can view the RENEX timetable here

http://www.renex.pt/Files/Horarios_SUL.pdf

Note that RENEX has its own office and depot about 250 yards down the main road from the bus terminal.

Rede-Expressos does not have printable timetables on its site, so you will have to navigate 'Horarios' in Portuguese as the site has no English pages.

RENEX will take you to the Gare Oriente bus terminal in Lisbon, about 5km from the city centre, whereas Rede-Expressos will take you to Sete Rios, which is about 4km away. Metro lines connect both the city centre/downtown area.

Trains from Lagos are much less frequent than the buses but more comfortable in my opinion.

A change of train is always needed in Tunes. There will be six daily trains in July leaving Lagos at 0611, 0856, 1223, 1410, 1624 and 1810. Journey times are 3hrs 30 mins approx on the 0611 and 1410 and about 45 minutes longer on the others. You can get off at Lisbon's Entrecampos station (about 4km from the city centre) or at Oriente, next to the bus terminal of the same name. One-way fare on the fast trains is 22,35€ and €19,85 on the others.

Advance reservation is advised for both bus and train. Bus reservations can be made on-line at the websites mentioned but in the case of rede-expressos only up to 8 days in advance. Train reservations can also be made on line at www.cp.pt and up to 30 days in advance.

I hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
185 reviews
3. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

Thans you SO MUCH for all the advice and detailed info. Wasn't expecting this level of detail. Very useful.

I honestly thought that the journey will be shorter thn the 4:15-4:30. Is it really that difficult to navigate in Lisbon? because if Car takes me 2h I'd rather do that. OR take the 4h or so but navigate the coast and see villages. Is it really worth it, by the way, or should one catch the highway?

London, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

nice assist cubsur!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,336 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

I don't drive from what I hear and observe, the easy part is getting to the outskirts of Lisbon then the fun begins.

It's just short of 200 miles from Lagos to Lisbon using the A2 freeway (tolls payable) and according to Googlemaps it will take 2hrs and 49 minutes driving at a respectable speed.

Once in Lisbon a medium crawl is all you will manage and you will both a good map and your wits about you once in the city itself.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,336 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

Going via the non-freeway route (N120/IC3) will take around an hour longer but the road doesn't actually go along the coast, rather it goes several miles inland. The road (I have been along part of it as a passenger) is much more interesting than a boring ol' freeway and you will probably find somewhere nice to stop off on the way.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
185 reviews
7. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

again, thanks for the info. I guess I have been warned. No car to Lisbon:)

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

Use the express train its cheap even in 1st class and you can have a very good meal for only a few euro. Plus the scenery is amasing far better than watching the verges go by from a car or bus

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
185 reviews
9. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

I've tried www.cp.pt but don'T see Lagos in there. Is there a different name for the station?

Lagos
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Best wayto get from Lagos to Lisbon: Bus, train or car?

Hi

The train takes much longer, even if you chose the Alfa, which is the fastest. The prob is that you must go on the old train from Lagos to Tunes and that will take you about one hour. Then add at least another 2.45 hours to Lisbon. Dont forget the inconvience of changing from one train to another. And most of the times they run late.

When we travel to Lisbon we always use Eva buses.

Have a look here:

www.eva-bus.com/home_pesquisa2008.php…

The buses are modern and clean. Rede Expresos is rubbish. Buses are old and smell awfully.

Eva stops in the centre of Lisbon by the zoo. Then you can use the underground, taxi or bus to move around.

I think its the best choice.

Enjoy Lisbon but be aware of the pickpockets! :(

Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations