We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albufeira in winter???

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
191 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Albufeira in winter???

We just got offered a deal on a hotel in Albufeira for a week in February/March. Just wondering how lively the resort would be around then, and how the weather would be??

Can anyone help?

Merseyside
Level Contributor
244 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albufeira in winter???

it is quite at that time of year but there are still lot's of places to eat and drink we go in the winter months we are going next week last jan we had a week of lovely weather it's cold at night and you might get rain if that won't bother you go for it, happy holiday

Dublin
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Albufeira in winter???

While Albufeira in the past was an all year round resort, this is no longer the case. Only a handful of bars on the Strip now stay open all year round. Feb & March are off season months but you do, or at least in the past, get some Irish over for St Patricks week (17 March).. Most of the resourts are experiencing a downturn in visitors in recent years due to the recession and a changing climate, even in summer.

That said there are a lot of ex pats who live in Albufeira, so the resort is not exactly dead but the hotel could be quiet. And the bars and restaurants that are open are likely to have very keen prices to attract business..

In so far as weather is concerned, its pot luck really, you may get some rainy days, but you also could get a lovely sunny week with tempreatures in the early twenties. The weather over the Christmas/New Year period was very good with lots of sunshine for example.What ever weather you get, I can assure you it will be a lot better than dublin.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albufeira in winter???

Honestly the place is like a ghost town there is nothing to do restaurat/bar wise i would look elsewhere i just came back today

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albufeira in winter???

Jool _10 it depends where you stay. Albufeira is a big resort with lots of different areas, I agree it is a lot quieter in winter months with lots of places closing down for winter months & no doubt all the austerity measures in place in Europe have possibly made a great effect on tourism . Which area did you stay?

Edited: 05 January 2012, 22:51
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albufeira in winter???

deleted due to misunderstanding post, sorry

Edited: 05 January 2012, 23:31
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Albufeira in winter???

Hi we stayed in the old tow after the 1st jan everything was shut and i mean everything. We ended up eating in and sitting in in the evenig as there was nothing to do

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Albufeira in winter???

How disappointing it must have been for you Jool_10. To be honest the resort over the years has gone from many places staying open to just a few,.less tourist ,hence bars/restaurants will close. My personal view of places to stay in winter are St Eulalia area, quite a few bars/restaurants stay open all winter due to the long stayers over winter mainly at Clube Praia da Oura, Oura Praia Hotel, Forte da Oura, Pedra Dos Bicos, St Eulalia Beach Club. Saying that due to all the disruption in the eurozone + austerity measures etc unfortunately there are obviously less tourists around. In the winter months you really need to know the areas that are open to eat and drink. Very sad really as the resort of Albufeira & surrounding areas has now turned into a ghost town in winter months & yet years ago it was once a good winter resort with many many many places staying open for the tourist to enjoy.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Albufeira in winter???

The weather was fantastic so daytime was fab evenings were terrible hey ho you live and learn

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,163 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Albufeira in winter???

Nothing to do? Nowhere to go?

I would be interested to know where you looked as I know a good numbers of bars etc that have been open and still are.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Albufeira in winter???

The old town was closed the square was closed we base dinner at o veleiro on the first he was not opening on the second went down on second nothing was opened. I would not recommend albufeira for q winter break. Cant comment on areas like the strip as they are not for me.