We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faro airport building work

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Faro airport building work

From what's being said in other threads I take it that building work is not yet complete. How far on are they, bearing in mind it was to have been complete by spring 2017?

33 replies to this topic
Kildare
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faro airport building work

Just have to finish Departures, after security and new passport control. Basically Duty Free and the gates.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Faro airport building work

I am seeing conflicting reports on this. I am interested because we are flying out there next month. This report suggests that it was completed in July but it seems not.

https:/…new-terminal-of-faro-airport-opened

We were last out there in June and the queues at both arrival and departure were horrendous. I used to like Faro. It was a nice wee airport and the prices for food and drink were as good as it gets. Not now! What they are charging for essentials (like water) is bordering on extortion.

Edited: 27 September 2017, 09:35
Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Level Contributor
579 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faro airport building work

I think that some have forgotten just how much sterling has fallen against the Euro.

Of course it will cost you more.

Yes the airport has suffered from the building works but it is also experiencing a boom in visitors as Portugal is gaining in popularity.

We have flown in and out of Faro 10 times so far this year and not experienced any queues or disruption any different from that experienced at other airports including Gatwick and Heathrow.

We arrived last week and from leaving the plane were in car park 4 in less than 20 mins.

The longest queue we have experienced so far this year was in a queue for coffee at the Costa past the final passport check in high season in July.

If those traveling did not try and take liquids in their luggage through security the queues would move a lot faster.

If they took their laptops, tablets out of their bags at security queues would move faster.

If they followed the instructions and took coins, phones etc out of their pockets, queues would move faster..

Stop blaming the airport every time when you are faced with a queue.

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Faro airport building work

Oh well, slapped hand! Be honest, every airport charges silly prices and Faro is no better. Every airport is an unpleasant place to be. Every airport I've been in recently - Edinburgh, Faro, Krakow have been under renovation to some extent. Like patients in hospitals, passengers are an irrating nuisance in airports.

As Douglas Adams said in his book The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul “It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression, 'As pretty as an airport'.”

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faro airport building work

With respect Terry R, I am aware of the effect of exchange rates (as would be expected of someone regularly frequenting a travel forum). ;o)

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Faro airport building work

To answer the original question...work is still ongoing although improvements can be seen. Worst part at the moment is the level of congestion in the departure lounge

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Faro airport building work

Queues are part of flying and we accept them as the norm. Having travelled at least six times this year, sometimes long queues, at other times we've flown through, (no pun int.) However lack of seating in departures is down to the airport, who else is there to blame?

I was asked €2.95 for a bottle of water, which I then got from a vending machine for €1. Regardless of exchange rates that's daylight robbery in any language!

Note the Costa after the old PPC has gone for now, (Sept) it may reappear once they are finished in that area.

Level Contributor
579 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Faro airport building work

Airport prices across the world have no relation to prices outside in the resorts

We have not see any excessive increases at Faro, the only difference when converted to sterling and compared to last year.

Pity about the old Costa , will just have to wait until we get on the plane for our caffeine fix.

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Faro airport building work

If the Costa does reappear, let's hope that they reupholster the seating in there. Most of the chairs were absolutely filthy.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Faro airport building work

Terry, I have been travelling to the Algarve for about 25 years and Faro was always a very reasonably priced airport for food and drinks. For whatever reason this changed dramatically two or three years ago. It really has nothing to do with exchange rates. I think that charging what they do for water in hot, cramped conditions like this is a disgrace. There is no need for it.

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Reply to: Faro airport building work
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted