We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler

Hi all,

My wife really, really wants to go to Portugal this year and unfortunately due to other circumstances, we can only go during the end of the high tourist season (mid-August to September). We'll also be traveling with our son who will be 18 months old at that time. There is so much to do and see in Portugal that I'm getting a little overwhelmed with the planning. Because we'll have our son with us, I don't want to move at too frenetic of a pace around the country, but I would still like to see as much as possible without returning home regretting that we did not see, explore and absorb the culture enough.

I'm also strongly considering renting a car for most of the long distance traveling and we'll probably use public transportation (bus/trams/trains) within the cities we stay in and even possibly for day trips.

Places we want to see (although it may not be realistic with the time we have) are below. Any help/suggestions on things we SHOULD/NEED to see and things that we can probably skip out on would be greatly appreciated. Also, suggestions/recommendations on how long we probably should stay in each location.

Planning on flying in/out of Lisbon and contemplating using Lisbon as our main hub for most of the entirety of our stay (to save on dragging around all of our luggage everywhere we go for overnights).

1. Lisbon (4-5 nights???)

2. Sintra (day trip from Lisbon)

3. Evora (day trip from Lisbon)

4. Coimbra (2 nights??? probably will probably be overnight each way when we go to/from Porto)

5. Porto/Douro Valley (2-3 nights???)

6. Madeira (one of things we're both really looking forward to) (2 nights???) (fly in/out from Lisbon)

7. Alentejo Coast (most likely Vila Nova de Milfontes - 2 nights???)

8. Evora (1 night??)

9. Back to Lisbon

Thanks and appreciate any help that I may receive!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Evora
Evora
Evora District, Portugal
Coimbra
Coimbra
Coimbra District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Alentejo
Alentejo
Portugal
Vila Nova de Milfontes
Vila Nova de Milfontes
Beja District, Portugal
15 replies to this topic
11. Re: 2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 January 2018, 21:06
Edited: 08 January 2018, 21:06

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler

@Lauren S. I totally feel your pain! Hopefully, you can tighten up your itinerary from everyone's response(s) here as well.

Since, we're flying from the same place, I would love to pick your brain once you decide (if you don't mind).

Sagres was not on my radar of places to see, but now it's something else for me to think about. Lol.

I'm very delighted to see the amount of responses and suggestions thus far and very appreciative of everyone.

Personally, I may now focus on 4-5 days each in Lisbon (with day trips), Porto (with day trips) and Madeira and call it a trip. As much as I'd love to see the coast and beaches, we'll probably just have to do it another time, preferably in the off-season.

Thanks again everyone and please, please, keep the suggestions and comments coming in!

Cheers!!!!

DK

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Madeira
Madeira
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
523 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler

In my opinion, you are trying to see too much. I have quite a bit of experience traveling with little kids, and I suggest staying in only a couple of places. If Madeira has to be part of your trip, I suggest splitting your time between Lisbon and Madeira. If you want to get into the local culture, more time in one area will work better than moving every day or two.

Portugal is a great place to travel with children. The Portuguese like kids, and in my experience are much more welcoming of children than the most people in the US.

The are a number of good places to stay in Lisbon. Cascais would be a good choice when traveling with children. There are several small beaches right in town, and a large park that has many attractions for children.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Lisbon
Lisbon
Cascais
Cascais
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: 2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler

@Captvic, thank you for your input and advice. I actually, totally agree. I feel like Madeira (at this time) is the hiccup I'm having trouble planning around.

For the most part, I've narrowed down our stays to just Lisbon, Porto and Madeira, but I still feel like I probably should nix one more locale to ease the travel burden on the baby.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Lisbon
Lisbon
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler

Curious on what you decided to do? We are just finalizing details and I am currently researching car rentals. I also noticed you are in SF! We are too!

Reply to: 2 weeks in Portugal mid-August to September with a toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted