We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is best train route to get from Bruges to Amsterdam?

1 post
1 review
What is best train route to get from Bruges to Amsterdam?

Will be taking the family to top European cities in July. I've read the previous posts of the train options between Amsterdam and Bruge but am still confused. What is the best /easiest route to take? We are hoping to leave mid-day and arrive sometime in the evening.

Thanks all

3 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: What is best train route to get from Bruges to Amsterdam?

easiest would be with one connection (to the Thalys) at Antwerp. Plenty of trains mid-day, takes 2:43. Reserve as soon as you know your plan.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: What is best train route to get from Bruges to Amsterdam?

Whichever way you go involves (at least) one change, in either Antwerp or Brussels, i.e.:

1) IC all the way: Amsterdam to Antwerp by IC then IC to Brugge (€55, whenever purchased)

2) IC+Thalys via Antwerp: Amsterdam to Antwerp by Thalys, then IC to Brugge (€36-€80 depending on when you book and for which departure)

3) IC+Thalys via Brussels: Amsterdam to Bruxelles-Midi by Thalys then IC to Brugge.(€36-€89)

I suppose #3 is the simplest, inasmuch as you can follow the timing given by the booking site without having to adjust it to avoid unnecessary changes, and looking up the timetable for direct trains. But in terms of actual travelling, I don't see that it is more complicated to change in one place rather than another - and Antwerpen-Centraal is a much nicer station than Bruxelles-Midi.

Re #1, firstly there can also be a change at Rotterdam between Amsterdam and Antwerp (should not be necessary but they are working on the line at the moment) and then between Antwerp and Brugge, the booking system usually proposes an additional change at Gent St. Pieters, because the way the timetable works out means that this is faster, and the system is designed to propose the fastest connection on any proposed route. However, as IC tickets are not restricted to specific departures (only the route, Antwerp -Brugge or Brussels-Brugge), you can also choose to take the hourly direct train between Antwerp and Brugge (at 6 mins past the hour on weekdays).

For timings, you should have given the date or at least day of the week, but for example for a weekday:

1) Dep. 12:22, arr. 16:00, with changes in Rotterdam, Antwerp and Ghent: I can get rid of the last change (arriving in Antwerp at 14:15 you can wait for the next direct train to Brugge at 15:06, arr. 16:34) but don't know when the direct IC between Amsterdam and Antwerp (and Brussels) will be running again.

2) Dep. Amsterdam Centraal 12:17 (THA 9346), arr. Antwerpen-Centraal 13:30; dep. 14:06, arr. Brugge 15:34

3) Dep. Amsterdam Centraal 12:17 (THA 9346), arr. Bruxelles Midi 14:08; dep. 14:26, arr. Brugge 15:29.

Thalys runs hourly so 2) and 3) can also be done at 13:17 arr. 16:29/34, 14:17 arr/ 15:29/34, etc.; basically you book whichever Thalys departure you want, making sure to select the route you want (via Antwerp or Brussels), but you aren't bound to the IC departures suggested, you can use the ticket on different trains.

It is far too early to buy train tickets for July, but you can check prices using an earlier date falling on the same day of the week (unless public holiday) as your date of travel on https://www.b-europe.com/EN

To check train times alone, on the other hand, it is easier to use https:/…en

Edited: 23 January 2018, 02:33
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: What is best train route to get from Bruges to Amsterdam?

Sorry I made it Amsterdam to Brugge, but I'm sure you can invert it! For Brugge to Antwerp direct trains are at 25 mins past the hour, e.g. 12:25 arr. 13:54; and to Brussels, at 10, 31 and 58 mins past the hour, taking about 1 hr. Thalys departures are at 52 mins past the hour from Brussels and 30 mins past the (next) hour from Antwerpen-Centraal. Which gives you e.g.

2) Dep. Brugge 12:25, arr. Antwerpen-Centraal 13:54; dep. 14:30 (THA 9339), arr. 15:42

3) Dep. Brugge 12:31, arr. Bruxelles Midi 13:31; dep. 13:52 (THA 9339), arr.. 15:42

Reply to: What is best train route to get from Bruges to Amsterdam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted