We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges to Antwerp by train

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Bruges to Antwerp by train

Hi All,

As per the title, I'm staying in Bruges and looking to travel to Antwerp for a day trip. I've seen return train fares for £13/15 Eur return if purchased in advance.

Does anyone know if these fares are the same on the day of purchase, or is it very similar to the UK that it jumps exponentially in price on the day?

Thanks in advance

Katie

2 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Bruges to Antwerp by train

Belgian train fares are not expressed in GBP and while I have no reason to know how much you currently have to pay in that currency to buy euros, the price you give doesn't look very likely to me for a return fare, nor do you pay less for advance purchase (as with high-speed international trains like Eurostar, Thalys and TGV).

Fares for train travel within Belgium are exactly the same wherever, however and whenever you buy them, but in the case of a RETURN trip, they vary according to whether this takes place on a weekday (for Brugge-Antwerp-Brugge, €30.80, which is twice the single fare of €15.40) or Sat/Sun of the same weekend (€16.40) and there are also concessionary fares for those under 26/ over 65.

If you want to buy online in advance, the only reputable source is of course Belgian Railways http://www.belgianrail.be/en/Default.aspx - and you can't buy more than 1 month before the date of travel. But as the price is the same, you might just as well buy tickets at the station on the day of travel.

Edited: 16 January 2018, 16:15
London
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Bruges to Antwerp by train

Thanks for your detailed reply. You’re absolutely correct, I misread the site and saw the price and thought that was for both journeys, apologies.

We’d be going on a weekend in February, returning the same day. If they are the same, we shall just purchase on the day.

Thanks again for your help :)

Reply to: Bruges to Antwerp by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted