We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges in 2018

Ipswich, Suffolk
Level Contributor
25 posts
47 reviews
Bruges in 2018

Hi everyone

We have travelled to Bruges many times in previous years before we had our daughter. We now feel she is old enough (6) to make the journey and to get something out of it. However the world has changed since we last travelled and we are wondering if Bruges has or is suffering from the same migrant problems as Brussels?

Many thanks

9 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Bruges in 2018

What "migrant problems in Brussels"? Unless you were to make a deliberate effort to pass by a refugee centre/ camp or soup kitchen, I don't see how you could encounter any.

Nor are you likely to do so in Brugge, where the Centre for Illegal Migrants (in Zandstraat) has all of 112 places.

But then, I don't know what you are calling "a problem". Brugge is full of foreigners... some apparently nasty.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
155 posts
122 reviews
2. Re: Bruges in 2018

If you have specific concerns based on specific incidents in Brussels, please revise your question. Otherwise, please understand that questions based on prejudice against an entire group of people (i.e., hoping to determine whether Brugge is appropriate for a vacation because sufficiently devoid of non-European immigrants), violate TA's forum rules.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,688 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Bruges in 2018

What a bizarre question!

You might be better of staying at home in your bubble in Little England!

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
997 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Bruges in 2018

My initial thought is "don't take travel advice from the Daily Mail / Express".

Bruges is largely unchanged since before your daughter was born. There are some things have opened, some things have closed. The most obvious thing you may notice is some barriers at the entrances to the Markt making it slightly more difficult for vehicles to enter and 't Zand is currently a building site while a major redevlopment is carried out.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,758 posts
476 reviews
5. Re: Bruges in 2018

I'm not aware of there being any more of an issue in Brussels than there is in Ipswich.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Bruges in 2018

Forgotten Paris 2015, Brussels 2016 - 162 dead ?

To answer the OP ( without burying head in sand ), everything is just as is was in Bruges from the point of view of a tourist. I've just got back after not having visited for a couple of years and my impression was that all's tickity boo. Enjoy.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
155 posts
122 reviews
7. Re: Bruges in 2018

Look, words matter. I don't know the original intent here, but the vague references to "migrant problems" were an issue for me. Was the question about specific concerns, or just the fact that there *are* migrants in Belgium? Specific questions are one thing, but it's against the spirit of TA to use the forum to learn how to avoid whole groups of people out of prejudice. Hence my request for revision.

If the question's meant to be about terrorism, then ask about terrorism. If it's about whether anyone has recent experience taking children of that age to Bruges, then ask that. (I took my 6-year-old not too long ago, and it was great. He loved the Belfry, the boat rides, and the playground at Koningin Astrid Plein.) And, whatever our beliefs or intentions, we can ask those questions in a way that makes it clear that we're not promoting prejudice or assuming that we all use "migrant" as a synonym for something sinister. I'm American, so unfortunately have a front-row seat to the consequences of our language choices.

8. Re: Bruges in 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 January 2018, 12:05
Edited: 17 January 2018, 12:05

Brugge
Level Contributor
45 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Bruges in 2018

Hi Julie and Paul! I am happy to inform you that migrants shouldn't have many problems in Bruges! People are very friendly and welcoming. It is still a warm and lovely city where all visitors can enjoy their stay in all safety, whatever their origins, wealth or length of stay. Enjoy your trip, I hope it will be a first of many for your daughter. Travelling really broadens one's mind! ;)

Reply to: Bruges in 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted