We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Beer

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Beer

I will be visiting Kortrijk betwen Christmas and New Year and I want to buy a good selection of Belgian beers to take back in my car. Can anyone recommend the best place to buy them please? Also, is French wine cheaper in Belgium or France? Many thanks

4 replies to this topic
Belgium
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Beer

via search fo - bier te koop in Kortrijk -I didn't find much, but with - drank central Kortrijk -: http://www.openingsuren.com/detail.php?edit=5025105&page=1&naam=Drinxit+Ghekiere Personally I never heard of it and can't vouch for the map accuracy. (then http: //www.drinxitghekiere.be/ ) Incidentally, "Gesloten" = closed, whilst "openingsuren" is opening times.

Also found this: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188634-i204-k2827… note the difference in my spelling drankcentral and that poster's drankcenter

Both are used, it seems but search reults can vary slightly.

I also searched via drankcenter west vlaanderen, and drankcentral west vlaanderen (west flanders).

generally, I don't drink beer; can't stand the stuff, normally, but there is one I do like. It's called Gruut and it's made in Ghent (east Flanders) The reason for mentioning this is that I notice from their site that most outlets are only to be found in the east Flanders region. Actually, it might be easier to find an outlet (that actually exists) in USA than in west Flanders and so, I have to wonder if there is any outlet, other than the supermarket versions mentioned in that TA link, whose product are not regional limited.

Edited: 09 October 2011, 10:38
Evergem, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
570 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Beer

When you're visiting Kortrijk i guess you will be staying there for some days and maybe see other places too. Best place to buy a range of different beers is indeed go to a store, even the big supermarkets have alot of different kinds of beers and also wine. Im sure finding good beers cant be a problems when you go to a supermarket. Wine ...dont think there is really much difference in price or you have to go to local wine farmers in France and negotiate the price. Then again, France isnt far from Kortrijk, Courtrai, so i think just cross the border and there is a big supermarket just close to the border so have a look there and you can compare. Difficult to say what kind of beer is the best, its all about your personal taste i guess ...try them and enjoy ...and you'll see what you like. I live close to a brewery here and they have fabulous beers... Hope you have fun and find what you're looking for.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Beer

For wine, just cross the border to Roncq (15 min. drive) and buy it at the Auchan hypermarket. They have the largest selection of wines at very good prices.

For beer, I checked the yellow pages of Kortrijk and found Ghekiere Drink Market on Ten Akkerdreef 27 in Kortrijk. However, the large Carrefour, Delhaize or Colruyt supermarkets also have a good selection of beers.

Sandy, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Beer

You can get a pretty good selection of beers in Delhaize supermarket in Adinkerke - first turning in Belgium off of the motorway from Calais.

I don't know whether it's the case for everybody but Mr Christian, who I think is the manager, will take our order and have our crates ready for us when we arrive. He'll even get stuff in which they don't usually sell. I ordered a crate of Floreffe once as it has a good write-up in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide to Belgium and it's now regularly stocked. Unfortunately he doesn't drink himself so if you ask for something really exotic he's never heard of he sometimes doesn't get it (it's probably not on Delhaize's list).

He does insist that you take back your empties (I think the deposit for a crate and its bottles is about 4.10 Euros which is paid back to you as a credit when you put your crate or bottles in the automatic "returns" machine at the back of the store near the drinks aisle) - proper recycling!

If you can't find anything easily accessible in Kortrijk give Mr Christian a go.

Edited: 01 December 2011, 15:17
Reply to: Buying Beer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Flanders Province
More West Flanders Province Topics