We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Paris to Dijon

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
50 posts
53 reviews
Brussels to Paris to Dijon

I'll be in Brussels and need to get from there to Dijon, France on July 10. I'm assuming I'll have to go to directly from Brussels to Paris then change trains to go to Dijon?

My questions are: what is the easiest way to get from Brussels and Dijon? Also, what is the cheapest way? Is it cheaper to buy tickets online from now or can I hop on to any train in Brussels to go Paris/Dijon?

Any advice on getting from Brussels to Dijon would be great!

Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Brussels to Paris to Dijon

Thalys trains take 1h22 from Bruxelles-Midi to Paris-Nord, then you have to cross Paris to Gare de Lyon (e.g. by RER) and take the TGV to Dijon-Ville (+/- 4 hrs in total depending on connections).

You can't hop on just any train because both Thalys and TGV require reservations: www.thalys.com or http://www.b-europe.com/Travel. The less expensive Thalys fares are only available if you purchase well in advance and if you buy tickets in person at a Belgian station, rather than online, it costs €7 extra.

The cheapest way from Brussels to Paris would be by coach which takes about 4 hrs, see www.eurolines.be. I don't know of any buses between Paris and Dijon and doubt that they exist, but you could try asking in the forum for France.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
50 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Brussels to Paris to Dijon

I'm outside Europe and it seems I can't book a Thalys ticket unless I'm in Europe - it won't accept my credit card. I guess I'll buy it two days before my trip to Paris and when I arrive in Brussels.

Is that possible? Even if it costs more, I really don't have any other options for a fast way to get to Paris, do I?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Brussels to Paris to Dijon

Yes, it is possible to buy Thalys tickets a couple of days before at any Belgian station with an international ticket desk - it does not have to be the station Thalys departs from, which is Gare du Midi. As you would be travelling in a couple of weeks it probably makes no difference to the price in your case, apart from the €7 fee of course.

Some non-European credit cards seem to be accepted by the Thalys/b-rail sites, others not - if it didn't work with one, try the other: you never know.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,194 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: Brussels to Paris to Dijon

Well you could call them up and book over the phone. Many people from outside the EU have to do this.

Fares on the 10th are all around the €66 euro mark at the moment. Tha max you will have to pay is €90 for a Hi-life fare but this is really a walkup fare on the day. If you book at least a day ahead you might still get the €66 fare but probably you will have to but the next level at €75.

If you do call up I see a Comfort 1 fare for €55 on the 14:37 train getting to Paris at 1600. Don't know it that ties up with the next train to Djon (after getting to Gare du Lyon) although I think they are every hour.

There is also a TGV from Brussels to PAris CDG and then a TGV to Dijon. Only trouble is that you have to wait in the airport for 2 hours for the Dijon train but meand you don't have to change stations and can do this on one ticket avoiding central Paris.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Brussels to Paris to Dijon

But it should be noted that there is only 1 direct TGV per day to Dijon from Paris-CDG, which is at 19:41 (arr. 21:39)! At all other times, attempting to go via Paris-CDG means having to go into Paris by RER to come out again from Paris-Lyon.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
50 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Brussels to Paris to Dijon

Thank you for all the great advice!

7. Re: Brussels to Paris to Dijon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 01:16