We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel and hotels

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
train travel and hotels

I will be travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels by train. I would like to know what good hotels (not the most expensive) are close by to the Gare du Midi train station. I don't wish to drag my luggage too far! Is the bus station there also. I can't seem to find this information anywhere

Thanks for any information anyone can provide!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Pillows Grand Hotel Place Rouppe
Pillows Grand Hotel Place Rouppe
#1 of 197 hotels in Brussels
FunKey Hotel
FunKey Hotel
#3 of 197 hotels in Brussels
MAS Residence
MAS Residence
#2 of 197 hotels in Brussels
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel and hotels

The most convenient hotel to Gare du Midi, if you need to stay in that area, is the Ibis Gare du Midi, ibishotel.com/gb/…index.shtml. It is right across the road from the Avenue Fonsny exit from the station - opposite end to where Thalys trains arrive, if you are coming by Thalys.

If you aren't coming from Amsterdam by Thalys (and even if you are, given that Thalys ticket covers you on any local train to Gare centrale or Gare du Nord also) there is no need to stay near Gare du Midi as the InterCity train stops also at Gare centrale. There are many more hotels in that area, which is a much nicer area to stay in. The closest would be the Méridien across the road from the station, behind that there is an Ibis, a Novotel and the Best Western Carrefour de l'Europe.

As for "the bus station", it depends on what you mean. The Eurolines coach station is next to Gare du NORD (the stations Midi, Central and Nord are all in a row on the same railway line)! However, SOME Eurolines services also stop at Gare du Midi, at 13 Avenue Fonsny (bonjourlafrance.com/buses_brussels_midi_euro…), so very close to the Ibis hotel.

If, on the other hand, you mean for De Lijn and TEC buses to Flanders and Wallonia, then it depends on where you are going. Some, e.g. to points West and South of Brussels, like Aalst, St. Pieters Leeuw, Halle, etc. leave from a small bus station in the middle of Av. P.H. Spaak, below the Tour du Midi (big skyscraper): see map on www.employment.belgium.be/accessmap.aspx#. However, most (to points East and North of Brussels, e.g.Leuven, Kortenberg) leave from the main De Lijn bus station below Gare du Nord. You may see this called "CCN" in maps, which means "Centre de Communications Nord", consisting of the railway station Gare du Nord at level +1; 2 bus stations - long distance outside the station, city/regional buses below it - at level 0; and metro/underground station at -1.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Wallonia
Wallonia
Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Leuven
Leuven
Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel and hotels

Thanks so much for the information and the web sites. I have a better idea now about how to get into and around Brussels. We are going to Bruges after and will check out the bus schedule.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel and hotels

Well it would have helped if you had said so! There is NO bus from Brussels to Brugge, you have to take the train which takes 1 hr. It goes from Nord, Central and Midi in that order.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
4. Re: train travel and hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 19:18