We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

We're booked for a long weekend in Brussels/Bruges in Feb. When we arrive at Brussels Midi are we able to use our Eurostar ticket to get on a local train to the central train station as it is nearer our hotel?

We leave for Bruges the next day so as I understand it, our Eurostar ticket should cover that as well....right? When I booked this weeks ago I'm 99% sure I picked 'Any Belgian Station' so it would be covered, but I can't see anything on our Eurostar tickets that confirm this.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

1) Yes, you can travel to Gare centrale or Gare du Nord from Midi on your Eurostar ticket.

2) Yes IF you purchased an ABS ticket; otherwise not, as it is no longer free. You might be able to check what you have by looking at the price on eurostar.com with and without ABS option - I think they differ by about €5 or €6.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

Good luck with that, i am sure mine had ABS printed on the ticket when i used it about 1 month ago.

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
991 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

Hi Josie,

One point to keep in mind, you can only use your ABS Eurostar ticket to get back to Brussels if you are leaving Bruges within 24 hours of your return to London.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

Thanks for your help.

Yes Nettle - we're heading back from Bruges to Brussels and then back to London that same day so should be fine.

I thought it would have ABS or something similar somewhere on the ticket too - I tried going back on the Eurostar website and putting in all the booking details to see what it says now and all it says is 'all prices below include travel to any other station' so perhaps the very cheap ones have already gone! Our cheapest ticket is $40, and I think the very cheapest you can get is $34.50 without ABS, add on the extra $5.50 for any station means our $40 tickets likely include the ABS option.

Actually we don't have printed tickets - I picked email option so have to print them off. But when I look at our booking screen on Eurostar.co.uk it doesn't state ABS.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

Just an update as I have looked up the prices again with and without ABS as suggested. Looks like ours is the cheapest ABS option and we should be fine, cheers for all your help. Would be less confusing if the booking just stated ABS somewhere on it!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

Re: "you can only use your ABS Eurostar ticket to get back to Brussels if you are leaving Bruges within 24 hours of your return to London" - this is not strictly true, because:

1) the 24 hrs applies to "stopover" in Bxl, and as the train from Brugge to Bxl takes 1 hr, this would mean, "leaving Bruges within 25 hrs of return to London"! In other words if it was strictly 24 hrs, this period would start running upon arrival in Bxl - not departure from Bruges - and end upon departure of the Bxl-London Eurostar; but

2) if you actually read the Eurostar ABS conditions, I believe they don't mention 24 hrs at all (as IS the case for "VIA" tickets within Belgium) but to onward travel "the next day"; so in practice 24 hrs can be stretched to at least 36, if you were to arrive in Bxl on the first train possible on day 1 and leave on the last train possible on day 2; and

3) now that ABS is no longer free, I believe that the booking system takes into account the specific trains you mention for arrival and departure (even if you only have an actual seat booking for the Eurostar itself, and are not tied to a specific train between Brugge and Bxl, I think the system prompts you to select one); and if these were to be more than 1 day apart, it should alert you to the fact that you couldn't buy an ABS ticket under those circumstances.

Why the ABS aspect isn't identifiable on the (e-)ticket, I don't know - but I suspect that it is, for the ticket inspector. Without seeing such a ticket (which I never will, as I would only be using Eurostar from and to Bxl itself), it is hard to say, but perhaps non-ABS tickets indicate only "Brussels-Midi" while ABS ones say something else. You could always ask the inspector on the train between Bxl and Brugge (or vice versa) how he knows you are covered, and let us know!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

Thanks for all your help!

ABS isn't mentioned at all on my 'manage your booking' page on Eurostar, but I downloaded the actual e-tickets to print them and it IS written there so sorry to be so blonde. Problem solved!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

I bought mine online and printed them off at home, they had ABS clearly printed on the tickets.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

ahh right.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using London-Brussels Eurostar ticket for local trains

For the benefit of others, on a Eurostar ticket to the left of the price box, is the space that can say Valid from/to Any Belgian Station. NOT VALID ON THALYS/ICE TRAIN. (Eurostar capitals).When I traveled with such a ticket earlier this month when emergency chec-in was in operation, the new train/seat sticker covered this up so I had to beel it back before my onward journey.