We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

Philadelphia...
5 posts
Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

Hi everybody,

You are all so informative and your posts have been very helpful in planning my trip so far, so thanks in advance for taking my question.

My friend and I have a trip planned for next spring and are spending 4 nights in Gent (doing a day trip to Bruges and planning a day trip to Antwerp) and then 3 nights in Amsterdam.

We are a bit nervous about traveling on trains with luggage, but are planning on packing light and bringing duffel bags as opposed to hard luggage cases.

We had been planning on doing a day trip from Gent to Antwerp and then going back to Gent that night. But either the next day (or two later) We will be taking the train from Gent to Amsterdam (changing trains in Antwerp). It feels redundant to do just a day trip to antwerp, halfway(ish) to Amsterdam, to then just head back that way with luggage a day or two later. However, if we chose to do one night in Antwerp, we would be bringing luggage and checking into an airbnb for only one night in Antwerp, which felt like a hassle.

Any thoughts? Admittedly neither of us are very familiar with taking trains so I think we are both a bit nervous about transferring in Antwerp, and though i have read up on how efficient the trains are, I'll admit we are a bit nervous about it.

Thanks for any advice

8 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
5 posts
1. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

Sorry for the overly wordy post, I'm a chatterbox!

Europe
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
2. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

Or, you can spend a day in Antwerpen on your way to Amsterdam. (Antwerpen is worth spending a night IMHO, but since you were going to do a day trip only anyway this might be a good alternative.)

This of course depends on already having a train ticket on Thalys to Amsterdam for early that day or not. With any other train you can choose the train you take (getting a late train to Amsterdam for instance), but with Thalys you are tied to a specific departure from Antwerpen. For the Gent to Antwerpen part you can take any train you want, even if you continue on Thalys.

If you spend the day in Antwerpen, there are luggage lockers in the train station.

Edited: 09 September 2018, 18:48
Philadelphia...
5 posts
3. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

Thanks for the reply.

I had considered the day in Antwerp with using the luggage lockers, but then it would decrease our time in Amsterdam by a full day. We have enough things to see in Amsterdam that we felt like 3 days would be ideal. None of our trains are booked yet, so thatis flexible. And it's possible that we could simply add a night into Amsterdam (and decrease a night in gent) and do a day in Antwerp on the way. Thanks for the suggestion.

We had heard that the luggage lockers in Antwerp could sometimes be unavailable or unreliable. Have you had any experience with that?

Europe
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
4. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

I use them a few times a year, and only once I had the problem of all of them being out of order. But there is another set of luggage lockers in the back of the station. (It's a bit of a walk, but good to know in case you need them.)

Philadelphia...
5 posts
5. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

That's great detail, thanks for your replies!!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

I'd stay in Antwerp overnight. It's only an hour from Gent and if you stay somewhere near the station it won't be much of a hassle to carry your luggage with you. You are also closer to Amsterdam already which is convenient. Besides that Antwerp is a great city which is really nice at night as well. You'll be able to explore it better at night, then when you have to catch a train back.

Either option is good, but I'd go for this one to save travel time.

Philadelphia...
5 posts
7. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

Thanks for the reply. I think we are leaning towards the overnight in Antwerp. It takes away the pain of connecting in the large station and we are playing a nice day there anyway.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,018 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?

I don't think that connecting in Antwerp is a pain, it certainly didn't feel that way when we did it. We enjoyed an hour or so there admiring the station, it's architecture and engineering before getting the Thalys to Amsterdam.

Nonetheless, I agree that staying the night ther eis a good idea!

Reply to: Day trip in Antwerp or stay overnight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted