We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
579 posts
13 reviews
How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

1) Belgianrail.be website, from Gent-Sint-Pieters to Antwerp ( one day round trip) there is more than one option to choose destination. Antwerpen-Berchem/Centraal/Dam/Haven, etc (I am guesing it would be Centraal, correct ?)

Since we only have one day, perhaps some highlights not to be missed, Old Town, Grote Markt, so far per RS’s recommendation. Can expert share some thoughts ?

Also, interested in looking/shopping at diamonds, watches, and fashions. Please suggest where to go.

Where to shop for good local chocolate

2) Another day from Gent-S-P to Bruges, Is “Brugge” our destination on Belgianrail.be site ?

Which Stop/Station to choose under “Brugge station Prerron”

Visit: The Markt, Burg Square, so far, again, any places not to miss.

Also, interested in looking in watches, and fashions. Please suggest where to go.

shop for good local chocolate ?

3) Last day, we might stay in Gent or one day in Brussels ? Stop staion at Brussels Centrals ?

4) When departing from Gent- Brussels airport, which station we should catch.

Thanks

Fans
Gift & Speciality Shops
Colman
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zahia
Gift & Speciality Shops
9 replies to this topic
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
495 reviews
1. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

See art museums in honor of Belgian artists. More to Antwerp than chocolate and diamonds. Notable buildings plus a cathedral and painting by Massys, Van Dyke and Rubens. One day will be cutting it short but it can be done. Another day in Antwerp would-be much better. Red about these people and places. Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
678 posts
2. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

Sights in Antwerp

1) Antwerpen Centraal train station

2) Meir tenement houses

3) Grote Markt

4) Het Steen

5) Suikerrui

6) Cathedral

7) Cogels-Osylei street (really worth a detour, may favorite place in the city, close to Berchem train station).

As for shopping, Meir is full of shops.

Places to see in Bruges (Brugge)

1) Markt

2) Burg Square

3) Rozenhoedkaai

4) Van Eyck Square

5) Minnewater Lake

Free sights to see inside

1) Blood Basilica

2) Cathedral

3) Anne's church

Definitely buy a museum pass and visit

1 Belfort (climb)

2 Town Hall

3 Brugse Vrije

4 Groeningemuseum

5 Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk

6 Memling Museum (Jan Hospital)

7 Janshuis Mill

For shopping: Steenstraat

3. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 August 2018, 02:21

4. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Level Contributor
678 posts
5. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

kbbcn, what's wrong with you? I'm recommending the places that I've seen and I've been to Antwerp several times. Meir tenement houses http://www.art7d.be/images2/belAntw24.jpg the ones with domes and many others. Suikerrui - there's a nice building there https:/…6035208564_c6fffdd860_b.jpg and this street easy to miss when you go from Grote Markt to the castle because this it adheres to the other side of the Market Square.

Edited: 25 August 2018, 11:33
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

I must admit as a local I never thought of the Meir as a street to recommend. Maybe because I see it every day 🤔

I definitely would advise a visit of the Cathedral. The Plantin and Moretus museum as it is unique in his sort.

For shopping: if you want big shops that are everywhere in this world (Zara, h&m,..) that's the place to be.

If you are in for designer stuff you better go the area of Nationalestraat, Kammenstraat and Steenhouwersvest. Also the car free zone around the Wilde Zee has some good shops (also for chocolates).

The jewel quarter can be nice to walk along when you leave the station but be carefull: not all shops are selling the real stuff..

7. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

Level Contributor
678 posts
8. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

So what makes a street worth seeing if not great architecture? This domed building an iconic sight of Madrid aviewoncities.com/img/madrid/kvesp0457s.jpg and in Antwerp you've got two structures of this kind next to each other and many others along Meir and I don't know what's weird about recommending some stunning architecture? And Suikerrui has got the best view of the cathedral's tower.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
579 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route

thank you for everyone's contribution, much appreciated.

One more question, on our 3 days trip below which train should I depart from Gent 1) Gent Dempoort 2) Gent-sint-pieters. I live atOnderstraat 33, 9000 Gent, Belgium. Per google map, when arrive at AMS, Dempoort is closer to apt, is it convenient to call a taxi at the station, because walking is 15-20 mins, correct ? Gent-sint-pieters is more convenient as its a short walking to our apt ?

Day trip which gent station to depart 1) Gent - Antwerp 2) Gent- Bruges 3) Gent to Brussels ?

Please clarify.

Edited: 27 August 2018, 20:56
Reply to: How to spend one day in Antwerp and train route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted