We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Automobile in Rotterdam ?

FORT LAUDERDALE
Level Contributor
16 posts
Automobile in Rotterdam ?

I will be travelling from Amsterdam (airport) to Rotterdam with wife and daughter in August. We are considering renting a car for the two days Amsterdam to Rotterdam and then returning it back to the airport. We will be visiting my wife's friend in Rotterdam but staying in a hotel. Is it difficult to drive and park in Rotterdam? Would taking a train from AMS > Rotterdam and return and local transportation in Rotterdam be better.?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,618 posts
1. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

i have driven by rotterdam, but not in it...im sure it would be easier to drive in rotterdam than in amsterdam...with that said...parking is expensive, even at your hotel...yes, the hotel will charge you to park. you cannot park anywhere without paying. i would take train ams to rotterdam..public transport to hotel..and let your wifes friend drive you around if needed.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

If you plan to park the car in central Rotterdam, you need to be aware of the fact that the machines for on-street parking do not accept cash. Some accept credit cards, but all use a 'chipknip' card.

As a tourist, you can purchase a prepaid version of the chipknip card ("from various points in Rotterdam", says the Rotterdam website, without being specific).

Or you can park in a multi-story car park, where machines accept coins.

http://www.rotterdam.nl/parking

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,144 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

A lot depends on where you will stay and where your friends are. Rotterdam is easier to drive and park that Amsterdam as it's a modern city but like everywhere in NL parking is not cheap.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
418 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

I would take a train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam instead of going by car as it's cheaper in the long run than having a car and pay for parking. Also, Rotterdam has good public transportation, so you won't need to worry about getting around.

scotland
Level Contributor
20,342 posts
366 reviews
5. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

I would take a train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam driving and parking in Rotterdam is not the best ( I work close by and always take the Metro in ..A car in R'dam will not be required and as above public transport is superb .Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to Rotterdam City Centre is € 13,50

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
6. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

Take the train. It allows you to relax for an hour and read a book or chat. Driving can be a nightmare if you get caught in traffic jams (basically 10 times a week or more). And like the others said, parking is expensive.

Public transport within the cities is easy enough and plentiful. This website helps you plan a trip from any address or station, to any address or station. http://9292.nl/en#

Or rent bikes in Rotterdam (at the train station) and get around the way the locals do. :-)

Edited: 02 May 2013, 22:17
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,618 posts
7. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

dear poster, thank you for allowing us to answer your questions. i hope they helped you.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
8. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

More info about renting bikes in Rotterdam and biking there. cityguiderotterdam.com/travel/…

And a recent thread about Rotterdam. tripadvisor.com/…0

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
9. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

@steveftw, ah, I only noticed now that it's not a recent thread and the original poster never responded back... could have saved myself the trouble... Oh well.

FORT LAUDERDALE
Level Contributor
16 posts
10. Re: Automobile in Rotterdam ?

Sorry for delay in thanking everyone for their helpful suggestions. Looks like I will avoid car Amersterdam to Rotterdam and then in Rotterdam. Thank you again.